Is my SmarterSpa DO a dud?

xriddle

Dec 27, 2020
canada
Hi all ... newbie to the spa world. I just got and installed my smarter spa this week. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my unit since when I power it on, the only light that flashes once every 10 seconds or so, is the light to the left of "Control Flashes". If I pull the unit out of the water while in this "flashing" mode nothing happens. But if I hit the "Boost" button, I see the chlorinator start and the "Salt OK" flashes blue. If I pull out the sensor in this mode I do get a "Salt Low" indicator.

Per the manual on Power On the following should happen.

"To turn on the SmarterSpa plug in the power supply (wall transformer). When the SmarterSpa turns on it will flash the lights as follows: 1. WHITE - Blinks the software version (current - 5) 2. WHITE, RED, BLUE, GREEN - will flash in that order 3. Chlorine production may start within a few minutes depending on the chlorine level. Typically the GREEN LED will flash at the 10 second rate indicating standby mode until the unit determines that the chlorine level is low enough to start a chlorine production cycle"

I don't see this. Here is a link to a video of what I see.

VIDEO

I've reached out to support but have yet to get a reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The white light on the left is indicative of your chosen output level- 1 flash = level 1
2 flashes= level 2 etc.
in the video is the cell in the water when the low salt light is on ?
the unit should not produce chlorine when out of the water by design.
when chlorine is being produced you should see bubbles from the cell (kinda looks like fog)
what are your test results for
Fc & Salt ?

Thanks for the reply. . I never pull the probe out of the water during the video and the Low salt is never displayed in the video other than to display the salt/chlorine levels when i push the up/down buttons. In the video when i push the down or up button the level is displayed correctly. I set it to 6 per the manual for my 1700 liter tub. After it's displayer it goes back to this mode where the "Control Flashes" just blinks occasionally approx. 1 every 10 seconds.

with the exception of my PH being a touch high it seems like the SmarterSpa is generating chlorine when needed. I'm just wondering what I should be seeing when it's in standby mode not actively generating.

Don’t over think it & just test your water daily for fc to be sure its doing its job & so u don’t end up with a problem.
Remember that you will lose salt when you loose water to splashout & to dilute it with fresh. So test for it regularly (monthly) - test strips can be off +- 500 ppm. Be sure to keep the cell happy 😃 hopefully you will get through to customer service after the holidays & they can be more helpful/reassuring.

I have a saltron mini which has a little simpler operation with a display & not so many “hidden codes” - glad it’s producing chlorine for u , hopefully you’ll get through to someone- an email can sometimes be better than a phone call. Or both😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.