Is my pump toast?

Marvin

Mar 16, 2018
MANDEVILLE Louisiana
Hey all (can't believe this is my first post as I've been a lurker since the old days. anyway),

so I have on old Hayward pump with an ao smith 3/4 motor. Not sure how old it is but has to be more than 10 since I've had the place 8 years and it was not near new when we bought the house. Just this morning I heard it going into an overheat/shut down cycle with a short interval, like 1-2 minutes. After it cooled down and I restarted just to check, it was clearly laboring and flow was super low. Not likely the start cap because it was replaced not that long ago and the pump was starting. I still have not checked the run capacitor or voltage (from loose wire or failing timer--we did have a heavy downpour that I'm waiting out). Nor have I had the chance to hunt out any flow restrictions. Anyway, I'm assuming that the motor is failing after over a decade of service in the south (southeastern Louisiana; pool is essentially never closed, pump runs every day, although on timer, so let's say 10 hrs a day); in fact even if it turns out to be wiring or capacitor related, it might just be that time to undertake replacement, right? So I guess my question is whether I should look into re-doing the whole pump vs just the motor (all pump parts are original, impeller, etc. I've done some o-rings and seals over time, but that's it); and then the question is variable or 2 speed motors vs current single speed on timer options. I guess 3rd question is just seeking confirmation of my feeling that it makes more sense replacing than repairing a unit well into its 2nd decade of pretty steady service. I mean I pull things apart all the time and rebuild from scratch, but by the time I do bearings, a possible run capictor, seals and so forth, I'll still have old windings that have been in service exposed to elements for over a decade and have this recent bout of overheating . Thanks in advance.

I poked around but did not see a sticky or other general pump guide thread. Did I miss one?

pool is pretty small, I've estimated around 10,000 max, probably a little less, with only 1 skimmer

You are in the right spot for pumps and such questions. Have you cleaned your filter? What kind of filter do you have? That would be my first step. IF the filter is clean then.....Due to the age and not really know just how old it is I would get a new one. It has lived a good, long life. Time to let it rest. If you do not have any water features or such you can stick with a 2 speed.

filter has always been regularly cleaned and I've been following TFT guidelines for a couple of years now. Kind of weird how the pump failed without warning--no bearing squealing and the shaft actually turns pretty freely just by hand. It has not lived in the cleanest of environments though, lots of leaves and trash around the side of the house. PSI on the filter hovered around 11 when all was clean/recently backwashed (sand filter, obviously). I did replace the capacitor (the other showed open circuit) but same scenario: maybe a minute of apparently low flow before shut down, like it just isn't getting up to speed. I still have not set the voltmeter to both hot lines but I don't see how they would just fail like that and the wiring at the pump was intact (I've already pulled the motor)

I thought of just replacing the motor along with the impeller while I was at it because the pump housing is still in good shape and it would obviate the need to re-plumb. I've done plenty of gluing and fitting over the years so that's not an issue, just one less step and if not everything needs to be thrown out, then why throw it out, right?

I'm a little confused by the pump motors; it appears I have a hayward Super II--3005x7 that I believe to be 3/4 uprated, the motor itself is a century b127 with the capacitor on top and a service factor of 1.5 (THP=1.13), but some of the replacement sites (inyo, for example) call out the century 1072 with a service factor of 1 so only .75 thp.

Don't know which way to go and need to decide asap because it is already spring here in Louisiana and my crystal blue water isn't going to hold long without a pump in service obviously. thanks to all replies

another question: what is the advantage of dedicated pool pump union coupling over simple glue-in types at the hardware store? (serious question; again, is there somewhere in pool school this is discussed. thanks again) (mine was installed with standard pvc type)

Unions=no cutting! So long as there is a union you can unscrew you are good!

It sounds like everything new INSIDE the body would mean less work for you as far as plumbing. It sounds like you know how to hold a screwdriver so do what works best for you and your wallet. Interesting about the motor. I am of no help with you there, sorry. I would call and talk to inyo tech and see what they say. Make sure to tell them TFP sent you for the white glove service.

Kim:kim:

Unions=no cutting! So long as there is a union you can unscrew you are good!

It sounds like everything new INSIDE the body would mean less work for you as far as plumbing. It sounds like you know how to hold a screwdriver so do what works best for you and your wallet. Interesting about the motor. I am of no help with you there, sorry. I would call and talk to inyo tech and see what they say. Make sure to tell them TFP sent you for the white glove service.

Kim:kim:

well I think replumbing a whole new pump would not be much longer if at all compared to piecing back together the old one with new guts. The question remains whether the price of a new pump with possibly higher efficiency would be worth it over just a new motor and extend the life of current pump a few years. I gather that the Super II is at least a decent pump. It has been pretty trouble free for me over time I've had it. too many choices=analysis paralysis

Marvin, welcome. Also, you are in good hands w k-kats...

RE the unions, if you do need to install a new pump, it would be a great call to add unions. It makes it much easier to plug'n'play if you have to remove pump for future maintenance, removal, etc. Sadly, expecting 10 yrs out of any of the pumps today is a dream, so unions are great for swapping.

If the pump you had is doing the job, I'd keep the same HP and also go for a 2-speed which you could run in low to save some $$$$. What is the current RPMS for your pump? Mas and others are really great w pumps, requirements and proper sizing/configurations. Hopefully we'll get you fixed-up real soon - tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.