Is my pump/filter really big enough.

nmarshall

Jun 4, 2020
NS
Hi everyone, I am new to TFP. I have an 18ft Summer Waves Elite steel frame pool. I converted to a sand filter Game Sandpro 35D, which they claim is sized up to 8000 gallons. I’ve actually done the math to find the correct volume of my pool, it is actually 212” diameter, and we keep the depth around 40”. I’ve worked the volume out to about 6100 gallons.

They say they 1/3HP Pump provides a max flow of 37gpm @22 ft of head. The filter is .55 sqft. I have two short pieces of 1.25” hose connecting to pool so there shouldn’t be much head loss.

I’ve had local people say that this combination is not adequate for this size pool and I should upgrade at least to the SandPro 75D.

What do the experts here think?

This is the first year of use, and my startup has been anything but ideal. Pool stores sold me a ******** of chemicals. Like in the area of $200.

I’ve shocked, balanced chemicals, added clarifier(which I now know from reading here is a huge mistake). Pool has been running for 2 weeks tomorrow and is still cloudy like milk.

So I did a 1/3 water change today, still milky but not quite as bad, I can make out objects in the bottom.

My main question is, is the filter and pump big enough?

Thank you in advance

Specs attached.
A8CE63A2-8555-405F-B425-B753D0C448C4.png

How often does the filter need to be backwashed? Do you have a functioning pressure gauge with real numbers on it?

Yes it has a gauge, clean pressure is about 4 psi, I’ve noticed a lot less flow around 8 so that’s where I backwashed. There are no swimmers in it yet as I’m still trying to clear it up. I don’t really know yet how often, I need to backwash normally, I’ve been backwashing a fair amount to to try to flush the clarifier out.

We recommend backflushing when your filter pressure rises by 25% over clean. Keeps you from having low flow. Clarifier use in that small a system is problematic, I would suggest not doing that again.

We recommend backflushing when your filter pressure rises by 25% over clean. Keeps you from having low flow. Clarifier use in that small a system is problematic, I would suggest not doing that again.

Oh believe me, I’ve lost faith in the pool stores selling me black magic. So when you say 25% would that be 4 PSI x 1.25= 5 PSI? Thanks for the suggestion and great advice to others.

Actually, 25% of 4 is 1. So at 5 psi. Might be hard to see that so above 5 lets say. If that is quick, you have a chemistry issue.

Actually, 25% of 4 is 1. So at 5 psi. Might be hard to see that so above 5 lets say. If that is quick, you have a chemistry issue.
Hi just an FYI, the local supply company sold me a Crystal Stick(clarifier) that you throw in the skimmer. It treats up to 100000 litres, my pool is roughly 25000. I put a piece of sponge in my skimmer to see what it would collect and when I wring the sponge out I get a milky disgusting mixture, after letting it settle I see white floaties in the bottom of the bowl. The pool water feels greasy or slippery to the touch. I think I’ve found my cloudy problem. I only have a 4 way litmus test kit, but all indicators on that show perfect levels. FC, TH, PH, alkalinity. Shouldn’t be much CYA as I’ve been adding non stabilized liquid chlorine, with a 3” puck in a floating dispenser. Eventually I will buy the test kit you suggest.

So you put the mystery substance in the skimmer?

You need a proper test kit. In Canada, you can order a Taylor K2006.

So you put the mystery substance in the skimmer?

You need a proper test kit. In Canada, you can order a Taylor K2006.

Yes unfortunately I put it in the skimmer. It was basically solid clarifier tablets in a mesh sock. Almost the size and shape of a pack of mentos. I can see what looks like clear flakes floating around the pool. Almost looks like fish food flakes, which I’m going to assume are the coagulated particles. I left the sponge foam in for the day and it collected a lot of flakes. Was like a yellowy slimy substance. Which I assume again maybe the coagulated dead algae particles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.