Is my plaster too old?

Jan 21, 2018
Houston, TX (area)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
My pool and plaster is at least 29 years old (we bought the house with it, i have original drawings (done by hand) and an invoice (done on a type writer) , but the only item dated is an invoice from 92).
The plaster is most likely the original plaster.

There are 3 spots (first 3 pics) that are "very dark" and the last picture is just the general stain in the plaster.

Question:
- Are these just cosmetic or are there other issues?
- Can it be estimated how long i have until I MUST resurface the pool?

GOPR1581.JPGGOPR1575.JPGGOPR1578.JPGGOPR1573.JPG

Looks pretty good for its age.

If the pool is not leaking water then the things you showed are cosmetic.

The brown stain may be some rusting rebar showing. Eventually when you do replaster that can be cut out and repaired.

No telling how long you can go. Just start saving up now.

Baby the plaster to extend its life. Don't ever let anyone do an acid wash of it. Be very careful if you must drain the pool.

How do you manage your water chemistry?

What test kit do you use?

Do you track your CSI using PoolMath ?

It is important with your old plaster to not let your CSI get too low.

You look fine then.

Your CH of 450 is good for your old plaster.

Don't let your CSI drop below -0.3. Your CSI between 0 and +0.2 is ok if you don't have a SWG.

Last edited:
Your CSI is bouncing around because your pH is bouncing around. I wouldn't obsess over the TA - 110 isn't too bad but you need to get your CSI down some. Try keeping your pH between 7.5 and 7.8 and it should be more stable. Add 1-2 pounds of ascorbic acid and those stains should go away. You'll have to adjust the pH up afterwards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.