Is my "ozone generator" causing pH to rise?

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
Short story -- my pool is about 6-7 years old. When I bought it i was sold a bill of goods and convinced to go the "ozone" route. I was also told that because of the ozone generation, there would be quite a bit of bubbling from one of my returns in the pool (and that turned out to be true).

I then figured out over time that the ozone in my pool isn't really doing anything, but it's still there. Started following TFP methods about 4 years ago, but just left the ozone on there as well.

I converted to SWG about 2 years ago...best decision I ever made.

The only thing I really fight in balancing my water is pH. It wants to get up above 8 and live there.

So --- random question -- can the bubbling from the return (because of the ozone) be causing my pH to continually creep up? Keep in mind, it's not tiny bubbles....it's noticeable and constant.

Thoughts?

So --- random question -- can the bubbling from the return (because of the ozone) be causing my pH to continually creep up? Keep in mind, it's not tiny bubbles....it's noticeable and constant.
Yes, the bubbles cause aeration that raises your pH.

And some of those bubbles can be hydrogen bubbles from your SWG.

What is your TA?

SWG alone can cause enough aeration to increase pH fairly quickly. Some people report having to add MA weekly. If the “ozone” thing is also causing aeration then it could be making it worst.

Your TA of 100 is part of the problem.

Lower your TA to 60-70 and your pH will rise slower.

Your TA of 100 is part of the problem.

Lower your TA to 60-70 and your pH will rise slower.

Yes, working on that now...added acid about 2 hours ago to get pH to 7.0 and start the process.

I was just wondering if the ozone generator was a contributing factor and whether anyone had disconnected one and seen results in making pH rise less of an issue.

It should be Easy enough for you to disconnect the ozone and see for yourself.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.