Is it time for a new salt cell?

Apr 6, 2016
Floyds Knobs, In
Hello pool enthusiasts

I’m looking to the forum to help me with my problem. This year’s opening hasn’t gone as well as past ones. Our pool and salt system has served us well since install, going on 8 years ago until now. Things started out with the no flow warning (Hayward Turbo Cell T 15) Controller is Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite. Through research on this site I was able to diagnose a bad flow sensor, which I replaced solving that issue.
Things were good for a few days then the inspect cell and check salt lights lit up. I had tested salt (test Kit from this site) which was 3200, i also took a sample to a pool store which tested to 3100. I went ahead and added 1 bag of salt, just because.
I have reset the controller 4-5 times, the check cell, check salt continues to return, yesterday it ran all day. Today warnings returned.

Here are numbers from my control after reset.
Pump running
96p
AL-1
r - 1.59
E-15
Chlorinator off pump running
97p
Al-1
r 1.59
E-15
Is it time for a new generator or do I have board issues, any other way to test things?
I removed cell, see no scaling, flushed w/hose but have not tried acid cleaning. Salt generator has never given issue before this and has only been hose flushed in the past.
Thanks for any help.
Mike

H I had tested salt (test Kit from this site) which was 3200, i also took a sample to a pool store which tested to 3100. I went ahead and added 1 bag of salt, just because.

That is the wrong thing to do with an Aquarite system. Run the Aquairte at the low end of the range where it operates.

High salt causes high amps which causes heat in the controls which causes burnt wiring and components in the system.
I have reset the controller 4-5 times, the check cell, check salt continues to return, yesterday it ran all day. Today warnings returned.

Both of those are meaningless nags. I am not sure how you reset the system

Here are numbers from my control after reset.
Pump running
96p
AL-1
r - 1.59
E-15

This is says your cell is in good health and generating fine.

Thank you Allen,
All numbers are after resetting, (“This is says your cell is in good health and generating fine”) the next time the warnings return I will record them, from memory the salt goes to 2100 when the warning lights are on.

Edit: just tested salt, 3400 using a Taylor K-1766

Mike

Last edited:
Does your cell power off when your pump turns off?

If the system is powered while the pump is of and your flow switch has failed so the cell is powered with no flow it will throw off your salt levels since it is trying to calculate salt levels with no flow.

Replace your flow switch and rewire your Aquarite power.

I think your cell may be ok.

If the system is powered while the pump is of and your flow switch has failed so the cell is powered with no flow it will throw off your salt levels since it is trying to calculate salt levels with no flow.

Replace your flow switch and rewire your Aquarite power.

I think your cell may be ok.
I replaced the flow switch after I opened the pool this year (it must have failed over winter while the pool was closed, with no power to it or the pump) everything was good after replacing flow switch (For a short time).
The “check salt” and “inspect cell” issues started about a week after installing the new flow switch.

Mike

Check the flow switch with a multimeter and confirm it opens when the pump is off.

Check the flow switch with a multimeter and confirm it opens when the pump is off.
I think you’re on to something Allen!
I just went out to the pool controls, I turned the chlorinator on with the pump off, it’s generating with no flow. If I unplug the flow sensor it goes to the no flow warning. I believe my new flow sensor failed after a week.
I think you were/are right and I don’t need a new cell (i guess I’ll have a spare now, if I can’t cancel my order), and I need another flow switch.

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, lesson learned, the replacement for the replacement will be OEM.

Thanks for your help Allen!

I’m going to go sit in the corner for a bit now.😆😬
Mike
@riggs0000
Just wanted to follow up, did the second new (OEM) flow switch correct your issue?

I just installed a Hayward AquaRite w/T-15 cell and I'm researching and learning everything I can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.