Is it possible for a new NG heater to be less efficient?

Jul 5, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
I had a Sta-Rite 400k BTU NG heater. It died and got replaced with a Hayward low nox NG heater - same BTU.

I could be wrong but it seems like the new one is more expensive to operate than the old one. Is that possible?

I live in Texas where it’s hot right now, and it’s easy to see in NG gas bills the difference between last year and this year - absent any other impacting factors like home central heat. Running the heater for the spa seems to cause a greater impact on the NG bill than normal.

Thoughts?

Both the Sta-Rite NG heater and the Hayward low nox NG heater are 84% efficient. They should use the same amount of gas.

Whatever is going on to raise your gas bill is external to the heater.

If you ever measured the actual gas usage of the old heater you could compare it to the new heater (gas usage per hour). There will be small variances but should not be huge difference. How much is the difference?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.