Is it just me or is this mastic ugly?

• Thread starter Deleted member 312768
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 312768

So I recently had a pool installed and they did the Deco seal and they did the poly metric sand on top it started coming out in chunks and the Deco seal started falling out as well so they just came back yesterday to redo it and they said they did not have a sand that would match is it just me or does this look hideous will it grow on me or is there anything I can do to make it look betterView attachment 457903View attachment 457904

I think it will lighten in no time with your blazing sunshine. Hang tight for other thoughts.

How bout a wide angle shot with the vibe of the place and all the towels ?

It does not look bad to me.

The Deco-Seal is self leveling and you can't touch it once applied. You don't smooth it out like palster or cement. Just have to let it settle as best it can.

I think it will lighten in no time with your blazing sunshine. Hang tight for other thoughts.

How bout a wide angle shot with the vibe of the place and all the towels ?
Thank you it just looks like an eyesore to me I wish they would’ve put sand or something over it I’m not sure what the thought process there was I still haven’t finished with the backyard as I feel like there’s so much to do no towels yet!View attachment 457909View attachment 457908

Reactions: Newdude
I think the bigger problem is getting the car out of the garage. :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully it lightens some and grows on you the rest.
Ha ha! The door will be replaced next summer! Hopefully it grows on me - but I may just pay someone to replace it and make it look better. My luck with this builder has not been great

Thank you it just looks like an eyesore to me I wish they would’ve put sand or something over it I’m not sure what the thought process there was I still haven’t finished with the backyard as I feel like there’s so much to do no towels yet!
Honestly, it took me a minute and a half to figure out what the heck you were talking about.

I agree that it would look better if there were some sand on top.

I, however, would leave it alone until it fails and fix it then. Self-leveling sealants, if installed correctly, are a nightmare to remove...you may end up with something that looks worse, unless your contractor is meticulous. I don't think yours is meticulous.

If it ever gets redone, you want foam backer rod between the pavers and the coping to create a uniform depth and then a very steady hand to do a slow pour of the mastic compound. I’ve seen guys do it from a pot-pour rather than a caulking gun, the guy was a champ and did a continuous slow pour the entire length of a deck. Truly a professional who took his craftsmanship seriously. If you use a caulking gun then you need to go pro and use one that is battery powered and provides a continuous push of the mastic compound. What makes mastic ugly is when guys use manual caulking guns and the flow out of the gun isn’t continuous and slow. It’s tricky to do right but it can be done. Finally I would definitely finish it with sand.

Color is important too. Different makers have different color palettes. It looks like the color of that mastic is a different shade than the grout which makes it stand out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.