Is it common not having to backwash?

I'd wonder if the correct amount was put in after the last backwash or disassembly also. I have to backwash a couple times a year and I have a cover on all the time.

Seeing as the clowns who did the liner (they sucked) did it when they opened the pool during the liner replacement, it is very possible. I suspect I will need to close the pool in 2 weeks or so for the winter, is it ok to do the backwash when I open it? Or is it best I do a backwash before I close it?

I need to start reading up on what is involved with closing the pool, we originally were planning on having someone close it but I want to see if it is something I can do myself.

With my oversized DE filter I don't have to backwash during the swim season (early May to early October). During a typical season filter pressure only increases 1-2 pounds. At closing I break it down and give it a thorough cleaning. At opening I just have to add DE and it's good to go for the season. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as the clowns who did the liner (they sucked) did it when they opened the pool during the liner replacement, it is very possible. I suspect I will need to close the pool in 2 weeks or so for the winter, is it ok to do the backwash when I open it? Or is it best I do a backwash before I close it?

I need to start reading up on what is involved with closing the pool, we originally were planning on having someone close it but I want to see if it is something I can do myself.

I would not let your DE filter sit all winter with dirty DE in it. A coworker of mine did that and she said in the spring it was like trying to clean concrete out of the filter.

As I mentioned above, I'd break it down and thoroughly clean it at closing.

With my oversized DE filter I don't have to backwash during the swim season (early May to early October). During a typical season filter pressure only increases 1-2 pounds. At closing I break it down and give it a thorough cleaning. At opening I just have to add DE and it's good to go for the season. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I would not let your DE filter sit all winter with dirty DE in it. A coworker of mine did that and she said in the spring it was like trying to clean concrete out of the filter.

As I mentioned above, I'd break it down and thoroughly clean it at closing.

Ok, I'll clean break it down and clean it this week. Any good resource on how to do it?

I see a few videos on it, best I've seen is this video: D.E. Filter Cleaning - How to clean and recharge your Diatomaceous Earth (DE) Filter Grids - YouTube

What should I use for lube?

and Thanks!

That video pretty much gives a good overview, though some of the specific recommendations are off IMO. For example, she said to open and clean the filter at least once a month. IMO, if you have to break it down that often you should get a bigger filter. Also, the amount of DE she says to use is way more than what is recommended by my filter's manufacturer (Hayward). See if you can find the manual to your filter and see what it recommends.

There are degreasers/scale removers you can use to clean the grids (I saw no mention of this in the video).

This is the lube I use for O rings;
View attachment 53866

That video pretty much gives a good overview, though some of the specific recommendations are off IMO. For example, she said to open and clean the filter at least once a month. IMO, if you have to break it down that often you should get a bigger filter. Also, the amount of DE she says to use is way more than what is recommended by my filter's manufacturer (Hayward). See if you can find the manual to your filter and see what it recommends.

There are degreasers/scale removers you can use to clean the grids (I saw no mention of this in the video).

This is the lube I use for O rings;
View attachment 53866

Suggestion for de-greaser/scale removers for the grids?

I noticed on Amazon they sell Magic Lube II for nearly twice the price, seems they added more teflon. Should I order a tube of that, or just get the original?

I don't always have to backwash mine in a season, although right now it is very close to 25% increase in pressure over the clean pressure at start up.

I wouldn't break it down and clean it this week unless you are closing it up this week. Just give it an extended backwash, recharge it and wait till closing. Cleaning it completely now could result in doubling your work (if you close it personally) that will have to be done in a few weeks.

If you want to have a pool store/company close for you, ask what they actually do in the service. If you close it yourself, backwash it then disassemble case and remove the grid pack from the filter before the lines are blown out, clean the grid pack and store it inside. Set the multiport to recirculate. (There is a lot more steps in this than I have listed.)

Main issue is you don't want to move the multiport handle, or the suction side jandy valve to do a backwash and break down after the lines are blown out, which will put water back in the lines. It is really tough to remove the grid pack without a backwash, due to weight.

After 5 years, I still have the pool 'professionally' closed. Each time I watch them pretty closely but I still miss something they have done in the way of losing small parts and end up in a frenzy on opening weekend, which I do myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.