Flower Mound, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I can’t figure out what is making my water cloudy. A couple of months ago when cleaning my filter, I noticed the fabric was torn on the flex air relief assembly on the manifold. After cleaning, when starting the pool back up, the water clouded up with DE (I assume) especially in the spa. Thinking I had a DE leak due to the torn fabric, I replaced the flex air relief assembly. The water still seemed a little cloudy, but not as bad as it had been but also not as clear as it had been earlier in the year. My filter grids are 13 years old, so I decided to replace them 2 days ago. Upon inspection, the old grids didn’t have any tears that I could see. I thoroughly checked the manifold to make sure it had no cracks, which it didn’t. Upon starting the pump and before I had put new DE in, a cloud came through the line, again mostly noticeable in the spa. I assume it’s more noticeable in the spa because of the limited space and because there is a large return in it that was a fountain before I removed it to help reduce pH rise. The pool and spa both run off the same pump. After a couple of days, water has cleared up some, but is still a little cloudy. It’s really visible at night with the lights on - lots of “dust” floating in the water.

Given that I’ve replaced all grids and the flex air relief assembly, and the manifold is in good shape, what else might cause a DE leak, assuming that’s my problem? I’ve never had the big cloud of debris immediately followed a filter cleaning until these last 2 times. Any suggestions on what might cause that, especially when it happens even before adding DE?

My water chemistry has been great all year. Current test results are:
FC - 5
CYA - 70
pH - 7.6
TA - 70
CH - 300
Salt - 3400

I’ll run an OCLT tonight to verify that the “dust” isn’t algae, but my salt cell has remained at 30% most of the summer and FC levels have remained consistent.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The vast majority of clarity issues are poor water chemistry (algae) and not filtration. Your's sounds a little different. I suggest you do the OCLT as planned and then make a plan based on the pass or fail of the OCLT.

Reactions: jark87
OCLT passed with flying colors - FC was 5 last night at 8:15pm and also 5 at 6:45am today. A couple of other things I forgot to mention above: I had brushed the pool thoroughly the day after changing the grids, including the walls, and this of course stirred up debris, some of which can be attributed to recent rains, but mostly from the cloud of debris that shot out upon pump restart after grid change. Again, I’m assuming debris from the pump restart is DE. The other thing is that I placed black socks over 2 returns a couple of weeks ago, after changing the flex air relief assembly but before changing grids. No debris of any kind collected in the socks.

Water is clearing up. It looked perfect during the day yesterday. No cloudiness is visible except when turning lights on when dark, and even then, only visible right at the light, but no more than 6-8 inches beyond. I added pictures below: large light in deep end, small light in shallots, and spa light. Spa light shows no debris and the other 2 look worse in the pictures than with the eye.

Ignoring the sock test, is it possible that DE from an earlier DE leak is still in the water? Any ideas of why the large burst of debris when restarting the pump after filter cleaning? Still a possible DE leak?

Thanks again!
1599480749115.jpeg
1599480792981.jpeg
1599480829114.jpeg

One other note - that pipe at the bottom of the spa used to be a fountain. That’s where most of the debris came out when restarting the pump.

Good to hear. If debris is DE it will be captured by the filter.

Hard to say on the debris at startup. That should not happen. If it continues there is an issue inside the filter system.

My water is clear and I passed the oclt but I have the same specks visible in front of my light at night and exactly the same as you described: visible 6"-8" directly in front of the light and that's it. I figured it was natural occurring debris and don't worry about it too much

Attachments

• 0811202148.jpg
    0811202148.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: jark87
My water is clear and I passed the oclt but I have the same specks visible in front of my light at night and exactly the same as you described: visible 6"-8" directly in front of the light and that's it. I figured it was natural occurring debris and don't worry about it too much
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I wouldn’t have even noticed it if not for the burst of debris at startup. That made me start paying very close attention to anything in the water. Water looks great today and I’m good to let it go and enjoy the pool for the rest of the season. I’ll revisit at the next filter cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.