Is CircuPool really the best?

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I searched the forum to get some advice on the best SWCG and in one of the threads was this link -https://www.discountsaltpool.com/Compare-Saltwater-Chlorine-Generator-Systems-for-Pools

It appears from this that the Circupool is the best as it has a much higher value rating than the other models.

I have a 20,000 - 25,000 gallon pool and I am thinking about moving to salt. I have a little bit complicated setup though and there is only one place that will seem to fit the SWCG and that is the return to the spa, which overflows into the pool.

The picture in the link will show my setup. It is a bit wonky because i took it with the iphone panorama feature but the pipes are actually straight :)

So it seems like the only place I can fit it is the return to the spa and that water then overflows into the pool. That is fine with me, I usually run that anyway, I have a variable speed pump and just keep it running on medium speed.

Soooo...My two real questions are
1. are the Circupool really the best and worth getting?
2. Is it a problem to put the SWCG on the return to the spa and let that water spill over to the pool and will it be harder on my sandstone rocks in the spa?

I would not put the SWCG in that spot. I suggest the straight run that Tees into the line between the spa and pool return actuated valves. You may have to go vertical.

The Circupool SWCG's are a good value. Are they the best? Hard to say. Many say the Hayward Aquarite series is the highest quality. Inyopools markets an in house line that are a good value also.

Let's make the disclaimer first: I have no experience with SWG systems other than Circupool.

However, when I shopped for my first SWG recently, I found that the Circupools were well-recommended here on the forum, and after researching different alternatives I felt like the Circupool offered the best size, value, and warranty for my application. I've been very happy with it.

Reactions: Tracey R
I searched the forum to get some advice on the best SWCG and in one of the threads was this link -https://www.discountsaltpool.com/Compare-Saltwater-Chlorine-Generator-Systems-for-Pools

It appears from this that the Circupool is the best as it has a much higher value rating than the other models.

I have a 20,000 - 25,000 gallon pool and I am thinking about moving to salt. I have a little bit complicated setup though and there is only one place that will seem to fit the SWCG and that is the return to the spa, which overflows into the pool.

The picture in the link will show my setup. It is a bit wonky because i took it with the iphone panorama feature but the pipes are actually straight :)

So it seems like the only place I can fit it is the return to the spa and that water then overflows into the pool. That is fine with me, I usually run that anyway, I have a variable speed pump and just keep it running on medium speed.

Soooo...My two real questions are
1. are the Circupool really the best and worth getting?
2. Is it a problem to put the SWCG on the return to the spa and let that water spill over to the pool and will it be harder on my sandstone rocks in the spa?
It looks like you could fit the Breeze SWG in the spot right behind the "return to pool" valve. They are now owned by CMP and go by a different name, Powerclean Salt Systems. I have been installing them for years and no one has had a complaint. The cell is clear so you can see when it is time to clean. No acid required, just hose out the cell and remove whatever deposits are left with their "cleaning tool." It is a commonly available paint stir stick. No flow or pressure switch to install that takes up more room. The Circupool system is just a re-branded Hayward, look closely at the pictures. Hayward makes very good equipment. They bought the company that made their SWG and improved on it. However, you MUST clean it every three months with a mild acid solution or it will stop working and the cells generally need to be replaced at three-year intervals.
It is good to buy a size larger than your pool requires. That way the cell does not have to be "on" as much and lasts longer.

However, you MUST clean it every three months with a mild acid solution or it will stop working and the cells generally need to be replaced at three-year intervals.
That statement is a bit strong. Proper water chemistry management can eliminate scale build up. And many members get far more than 3 years of service from their Hayward SWCG's.

Reactions: arielpool
I’ve been quite happy with my Circupool. I picked their RJ45+ via a $1 size upgrade promotion that was running. They have it again now as a $4 upgrade for the festivities. The vertical install option should let it fit in just about anywhere.

I’m not sure I’d just broadly classify the Circupool SWCGs as rebrand Haywards. The control unit is drastically different. The cell body might be a similar shape sure, but I’d call it a marketing technique to upsell on Hayward customers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After a month with it I'm very happy with my Crystal Pure from Inyo. Note that Crystal Pure is not on the Discountsaltpool list. Another thing that bugged me about that list is that they don't explain how they calculate the ratings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philo
Last year was my first season with my SJ-55. Worked great. This season for some reason the control/power panel wouldn't power on. Tested voltage, reset button, etc. Emailed and then called, they sent me a new one no charge. Worked great out of the box.

Very pleased with the entire experience. Granted, the diagnostics are a bit lacking. Blinking "Not Happy" light: low flow? low salt? other? Well, you kind of have to noodle through that one on your own.

I way underestimated how nice it would be to stop being a jug lugger.

• Haha
Reactions: arielpool
That statement is a bit strong. Proper water chemistry management can eliminate scale build up. And many members get far more than 3 years of service from their Hayward SWCG's.
Yes, I, too, have seen these cells last longer, but it requires that they be serviced regularly. Unfortunately, after the "newness" wears off, too many of the ones that I have seen are in dire need of proper cleaning. I have seen them so clogged that water-flow was severely impaired, though the customer "swore" that they were doing the proper cleanings. I love SWG's. But, if one won't treat it right it just becomes a bad impression of pool ownership. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Reactions: MyAZPool
You can. Proper management of pool water chemistry keeps your cell from building any scale on it. I have had my SWCG for over 4 years. Have never cleaned it. Manage the pool water with up to 1000 ppm CH.

I would install it in the coolest place possible. They seem to run very hot, and I think that kills them off. I get around 4 years out of them. But they always make me a deal on the next one.
So my advice is try to keep external heat away from it - and that is probably good advice for any brand for that matter.
I made a sun shade for mine, and and to set it to AM operation once my pump problem is sorted out.
Maybe I’m just unlucky.

I dont have any automation. I have a Hayward tristar vs 900 pump that allows me to do times but I don't have anything that starts up the pump when the SWCG starts. I have seen people talking about that on here, is that something that can be hooked into my Hayward tristar vs 900 pump

I believe it would be cheaper and more effective to control the SWG with an Intermatic timer. With so few adjustments necessary for the SWG, it seems silly to control it with automation. I adjust mine no more than about once per month, increasing as the weather warms and decreasing as it cools. The RJ 60 model would allow for the most Cl2 production at the lowest rate setting, thereby preserving cell life.

Reactions: Chuckiechan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.