Is algae less of a problem with a covered or indoor pool

denniswiseman

Bronze Supporter
Nov 27, 2014
United Kingdom
No problems but I was wondering if a covered or indoor pool was less likely to be affected by algae
I might add that I have never had and algae problem and I keep my FC levels correct and when I'm on vacation I up it to slam level before leaving
My CYA is 20

No problems but I was wondering if a covered or indoor pool was less likely to be affected by algae
I might add that I have never had and algae problem and I keep my FC levels correct and when I'm on vacation I up it to slam level before leaving
My CYA is 20

That CYA is low. From everything I have seen on this board , the CYA needs to be higher. Might want to check the recommended levels for your type pool. I am using this tap thing and it doesn't show your signature line with your pool info

I am not sure if your are less likely to see algae in a covered or indoor pool, possibly because there is slightly less exposure to windblown algae, but people often don't realize algae is not the the real problem it's more the canary in the coal mine. Sure it is ugly to look at and we think ah gross but it is no worse than swimming in a lake, stream, or the ocean, 99% of algae is harmless. The real danger is if you see algae in a pool that is an indication of poor sanitation meaning there could be no end to the pathogens teaming in the water the least of which is the algae.

So while we talk about defeating algae a lot to some degree we should actually be thankful for the little buggers they tell us when we messed up and the pool is not as safe as it should be.

I have no empirical evidence, but it just seems sensible that they would be less likely, simply because they don't experience FC swings due to UV burnoff, as well as stuff blowing into them.

Hi all,
With close to 50 pools to maintain, I have experienced the following.
Indoor pools do not tend to develop algae with low chlorine levels but on the other hand, outdoor pools tend to develop algae much quicker when the chlorine levels run low.
Also, as previously said, leaves, dust and sand that is blown into the pools also contribute to an algae problem.
Always maintain fc level and ph level.
Regards

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.