Is 3050 RPM to high for a single outlet to spa?

IMV8N

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2020
Las Vegas
I recently bought a house with pool and spa. The old owner told me that when he runs the jacuzzi, he sets the variable speed pump to 2350 RPM. I'd like to set it to it's max speed as the higher pressure feels great! The same pump is piped to release water to one outlet at the spa and 4 outlets at the pool. My question is, am I putting to much pressure through the single jacuzzi pipe. Since when I run the spa I need to close all the pool outlets I worry that I might be putting to much pressure through the spa outlet. I just don't want to risk causing a leak by pushing to much water pressure at the 3050 RPM through the one spa outlet. Hope this makes sense?

Since you don;t have a signature we don't know what pump you have. Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

The question is not about RPM but the flow and pressure that can only be knows if we know what model pump you have and it's HP. And knowing what filter you have will tell us what pressure it can stand.

Reactions: IMV8N
From your signature the single spa jet fed from the Intelliflo is a make up line. When you run just the spa, that should be turned off. The spa pump that feeds the 4 jets should be run. The heater, is it attached to just the spa pump or can you use it for the pool to?

From your signature the single spa jet fed from the Intelliflo is a make up line. When you run just the spa, that should be turned off. The spa pump that feeds the 4 jets should be run. The heater, is it attached to just the spa pump or can you use it for the pool to?
The spa pump that feeds the 4 jets doesn't go through the heater. The spa pump is in line with the spa blower. Only the the the Intelliflo goes through the heater, I assumed so that I can heat both the pool and spa.

And in spa mode there is only one jet that feeds the spa hot water? Can you have suction only from the spa for the heated water system?

And in spa mode there is only one jet that feeds the spa hot water? Can you have suction only from the spa for the heated water system?
Yes sir. I believe that is the case. Again very new to pool ownership. See attached photos. The photo with the filter in the back has 4 inlets. Two for the pool skimmers. One for the spa main drain and one for the pool main drain. The two outlets on the left are one that feeds the 4 outlets to the pool and one that feeds the one outlet to the spa. I know that it only feeds the one outlet to the spa because when I drain the spa and refill it from the pump it only comes out the one outlet. The black pump in the second pic is in series with the blower but does not go through the heater that I can see. As I'm writing this I'm starting to wonder what drain could possibly feed that spa pump since there is only one drain in the spa. So maybe I'm missing something unless somewhere underground it tees off. Again though only the pump next to the filter goes into and comes out from the heater. The other seems only to recirculate already heated spa water. If you understand how my system might work I'd buy you a beer if you could explain it to me 20201203_221951.jpg20201203_221939.jpg

The mystery is where is the suction for the spa pump is coming from. If you only have one suction in the spa (which is quite dangerous) the pumps must both get suction from that when operating. I would suspect that you could easily exceed its ability to feed the two pumps if the main pump is run at a very high rpm at all.

If that single return into the spa from the main pump is wide open (no reduced size eyeball) it will handle as much as the pump can flow. The restriction will be the suction and the heater. I bet the original owner had figured out that sweet spot and that is the rpm level he told you.

For the spa suction, you should look into getting an anti-entrapment cover. New pools are required to have two suction ports (main drains) plumbed together so a person cannot get entrapped on the drain cover and drown.

Post a few pics of the spa, showing the main drain and all returns. Label what does what in the pic if possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More than likely there are two suction lines in each MD of the spa. That is a common way to plumb the spa with a separate jet pump.

But if you have a separate jet pump, why do you want to run the Intelliflo at such a high RPM? It shouldn't make the jets feel any stronger since it isn't feeding those.

Reactions: mknauss
More than likely there are two suction lines in each MD of the spa. That is a common way to plumb the spa with a separate jet pump.

But if you have a separate jet pump, why do you want to run the Intelliflo at such a high RPM? It shouldn't make the jets feel any stronger since it isn't feeding those.

So your saying that since I only have one MD in the spa then likely that MD is feeding both pumps? There are 5 outlets in the spa 4 fed by the black pump and 1 fed by the Intellflo. The spa jet pump that feeds the 4 spa outlets isn't a strong, especially when divided by 4 as the single outlet fed by the Intelliflo at the one spa outlet. So I like to sit at the one jet with the insane pressure that I get at 3040 RPM. As I was sitting in the spa liking how strong the pressure was on my back from the single jet I thought perhaps it's also putting insane pressure on my plumbing and perhaps it wasn't a good idea. So I figured I would ask here.

If you are in the spa alone or with one other person then get some rubber plugs and plug up the unused jets which will increase the pressure in the jets you use.

Also the black pump is 1.5 HP according to your signature and that water flow is divided by 4. Whereas the Intelliflo is probably running about 2 HP at 3000 RPM into one spa return. Replacing the black pump with a 2 HP or 3 HP VS pump will increase the pressure out of the jets.

So your saying that since I only have one MD in the spa then likely that MD is feeding both pumps?
More than likely there are two pipes under the single cover. However, for safety reasons, there should be two covers in the spa separated by 3'. If you have only one MD cover, then both pumps should have an SVRS system for safety. Are you sure there is not a second suction port in the spa?

There are 5 outlets in the spa 4 fed by the black pump and 1 fed by the Intellflo. The spa jet pump that feeds the 4 spa outlets isn't a strong, especially when divided by 4 as the single outlet fed by the Intelliflo at the one spa outlet. So I like to sit at the one jet with the insane pressure that I get at 3040 RPM. As I was sitting in the spa liking how strong the pressure was on my back from the single jet I thought perhaps it's also putting insane pressure on my plumbing and perhaps it wasn't a good idea. So I figured I would ask here.
The issue is likely the spa jet pump. I believe those are medium head pumps not really suited for spa jets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.