Is 0 CYA OK with liquid chlorinator

Maybe I'm not understanding this chart... But how can that be right? So if I have 100 ppm CYA, and I put my FC at 10 ppm, then 7 hours later half of it would be gone? That's not right... Maybe 2 or 3 ppm would be gone at most. Or am I missing some of the meaning of the science here?

Pool Water Chemistry

Scroll down to the headline " A little CYA goes a long way'

Wife did mention in the water testing business they have commercial ORP readers that are very accurate (might be cost prohibitive for a private pool owner).

https://www.troublefreepool.com/~richardfalk/pool/HalfLife.gif

- - - Updated - - -

That is the issue with both UV and Ozone, they cannot be measured. FC can be measured.

The commercial ozone systems generate many times the amount of ozone versus the residential ones. To believe it works, you need to overwhelm the system. Sadly, it is all anecdotal that it works. You cannot measure it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also interesting that a cya of 60 is no where near doubling the half life of a cya of 30. Definitely seems like a strong case for having cya at the lowest recommended level of 30 level vs 50 since there is diminishing returns with more cya.

Maybe I'm not understanding this chart... But how can that be right? So if I have 100 ppm CYA, and I put my FC at 10 ppm, then 7 hours later half of it would be gone? That's not right... Maybe 2 or 3 ppm would be gone at most. Or am I missing some of the meaning of the science here?

Hmm I read the chart differently, I see a good return on half life to 50 ppm CYA.....in practical use however I have CYA at 70 now and in mid summer I only lost 1.5 ppm/24 hours on avg sunny day w/ no cover.....now later in the season it's closer to 1 ppm---so I have a higher FC load to attain maint. level for 70 CYA up front (or if I had to slam) but in terms of daily loss, I'm very happy w/ my daily loss of FC for maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.