Iron stains - Metal Magic

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
So I've got more iron stains this year. Vitamin C tablets take it off like magic. Apparently our city water supply has iron in it now somehow. After reading on these forums for awhile, I decided to try and lower the pH from 7.6 to 7.2 and see if the stains get better. I'll keep an eye on it for a day or two to see. I figured I'll probably need a sequestrant, so I went to the pool store and got a couple bottles of ProTeam Metal Magic. So for those of you in the know, I have questions.

1. - It says to get the pH to 7.5 or higher. This seems counter-intuitive but I will raise the pH back up if needed. Should I raise it back up?

2. - I understand why it wants the FC to be below 3 ppm, due to chlorine breaking down the sequestrant. Here's the rub - my CYA is 60-70 right now so I maintain FC above 5 ppm. Will letting it drop to 3 for 48 hours cause other issues? Especially since you're not supposed to shock for a week after using it?

3. Should I take a swim with a sock full of Vitamin C and rub off as much of the stains as possible prior to adding the Metal Magic?

4. Instructions say to "operate the filter system for 48 hours". I've read other places that you should just put it on circulate - should it be in filter mode or circulate?

Thanks!!!

Hi there. Yes, contact removal with AA is a good idea. Remember the AA will fight your FC a bit.

I've used metal magic successfully without lowering FC, but ymmv.

Re ph, I always used it with h at 7.6. It will lower it a bit. I'd follow instructions on this one (notice how I'm selective about following instructions ;) )

And yes, for SURE run your filter round the clock. It may cloud your water for a few days regardless...with this brand, their intent is to bind an excess calcium with the metal in the hopes of actually filtering it.

Hi there. Yes, contact removal with AA is a good idea. Remember the AA will fight your FC a bit.

I've used metal magic successfully without lowering FC, but ymmv.

Re ph, I always used it with h at 7.6. It will lower it a bit. I'd follow instructions on this one (notice how I'm selective about following instructions ;) )

And yes, for SURE run your filter round the clock. It may cloud your water for a few days regardless...with this brand, their intent is to bind an excess calcium with the metal in the hopes of actually filtering it.

Thanks so much for the reply. Went home at lunch to check the pH and the pump was not running. Motor hot enough to cook on and will not respond. Turned off breaker for a while and it now hums but doesn't start. :( Yet another issue to tackle.

Good grief. Will send you some good pool mojo to get it all sorted ;)

Thanks! Guess the mojo worked because I had a hunch it was the capacitor. Got one at the local electrical supply for $11 and swapped it out myself. Back up and running! I'm going to hold off on the Metal Magic for a while because we are having a 4th of July party. No need to get rid of the stains right now to have them come back for the party. If they do come back, I'll handle it then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.