Iron stain, drained pool - scrub the walls? & Gunnite patch recs

Wood0810

May 26, 2022
Little Rock, Arkansas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, we are new to pool ownership and still learning. Read all the articles on TFP blog, bought TF-100 XL kit, switched to liquid chlorine, etc. Our gunnite pool is partially drained right now. Have two questions: 1) should we scrub the walls with ascorbic acid or just follow the ascrobic acid procedure described in this blog, and 2) any recommendations on underwater gunnite pool patch? I enclosed a screenshot of what's available on Amazon, but I am happy to buy elsewhere.

Long version: we had to partially drain our pool because of sky-high CYA level in the pool and needing to do electrical work on the lights (lifting them out was not an option). The pool has three massive oak trees overhanging it; the trees drop acorns in it that we think contribute to high iron levels in the pool (we are on city water). After we partially drained the pool, we tested the stain with ascorbic acid and it came out instantly.
20220603_091224.jpg

For better results, do we scrub the walls that are above water right now? Is there a way to do it that keeps the iron we scrub off from going back in the water through dripping during the scrubbing process? Or will it not make much difference, and we just follow the process from the blog after refilling? It is possible that we will need to drain and refill again because of CYA, too.

We also need to patch two places where the plaster came off the gunnite. Those are still under water. Do you have any recommendations for which product we should use for that? Local stores got nothing; there are a few choices on Amazon.

Screenshot_20220604-102855_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

I like the E-Z Patch repair products.

I would have done the AA treatment first, then drained the pool to get rid of the iron in the water and the high CYA, then do the repairs, and refill with fresh water.

I assume you know the risks of a drained pool popping out of the ground...

Yes, we now realize that we did it out of order. But now that we did, what's the better way of going about it? To scrub or not? And if scrub, how to do it so most of the iron stays out of the water?

Thank you for EZ patch recommendation!

Yes, we now realize that we did it out of order. But now that we did, what's the better way of going about it? To scrub or not? And if scrub, how to do it so most of the iron stays out of the water?

Thank you for EZ patch recommendation!

And if scrub, how to do it so most of the iron stays out of the water?

You can't.

It will just cost you more water to get the iron into the water, then drain it, then refill.

You can try a filtering setup but I think it is easier just spending money on more water...

I have iron stains and tried doing a AA treatment and draining the water. They stains seems to settle back down in the plaster.
One filled did a 2nd one and uses metal magic and it looks better.

I was hoping the aa would suspend the iron and drain out but seemed to settle?

Just my experience, not saying don’t do it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.