Ionizer to replace aquarite ?

Brando

Mar 31, 2013
I didn't see a forum specific to ionizers . Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I have and aging aqua-rite system with a salt cell(t-15) that is likely going to maybe make it through summer( #2 cell).
Before i purchase a new cell, ive seen some information on Ionizers , and im wondering how effective this technology is.(10k gallon play pool in phoenix az area)
interestingly a friend has a pol with the same set of circumstances, though his cell is dead.
Looking to see if there are new and better alternatives to salt generators.
the one ive seen talked about the most is; http://www.ecosmarteusa.com/
Thanks

Brando,

If you read closer you will find that this system slowly dissolves a bar of copper into your pool water and it uses the copper as the algaecide. Not something I want to be swimming in. You might also note that to use their system they want you to keep your pH between 6.8 and 7.2.

The say... "...That's right, no burning eyes, no dried out hair, no cloudy water, and no toxic smell. Your swimming pool or spa will have pure, crystal clear, chemical-free water and require a lot less effort and expense...."

Well, as soon as my saltwater pool burns my eyes, dries out my hair (what little I have), turns cloudy, or starts to smell.... I'll give them a call. :cool:

You might also note where they say something like "... if your pool does get algae, we recommend that you should dump in a bunch of chlorine..."

Thanks, but no thanks.. I'll just stick to what is working for me.

Jim R.

There is no sub-forum for ionizers for a very good reason: ionizer = metals = Not TFP recommended. Any copper or silver system can cause staining of the pool or a swimmers' hair (blonde hair plus copper makes green hair) and copper has zero anti-microbial properties. Any system that only uses an ionizer and no chlorine is not safe.

If you do a search for EcoSmarte specifically you will find plenty of threads here. They all say the same thing: avoid.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten

They work, I used one, it was fantastic for 6 months, pool was crystal clear, not a drop of chlorine. The problem is if anything happens and it slightly gets algae, the system can't keep up and you will have to majorly add chlorine till every last bit of algae is gone. A salt generator is so much easier and less maintenance. The ionizer rods burn down pretty quick too.

They work, I used one, it was fantastic for 6 months, pool was crystal clear, not a drop of chlorine.

Yet you were swimming in copper laden water, and hope no one with a herpes outbreak or some other disease wasn't sharing it with you in water that wouldn't kill the cooties.
And eventually that copper is going to stain the pool walls and turn hair green as it builds up.

Yip :flower:

Post #15 in this thread explains the slow kill times for bacteria and other pathogens. converting my ecosmarte system to chlorine

Algae prevention with copper or silver is the old technology, first used a couple of thousand years ago. Chlorination is a bit over 100 years old, and SWGs for residential pools about 40 years old. In this case, you'll have the least trouble if you stick with the newer technology :)

Thanks all for the replies, i have seen the light, staying with the Aqua-rite and replacing the cell(which we found we can use a T-3, so cheaper, correct firmware and pool size of 11k)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.