InyoPools salt cell warranty and phosphate test

Serious1

Silver Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
NE
I bought a salt cell from InyoPools 2/2021 and installed 5/2021. This year it's consistently reading low and flashing. I tested my salt level and it's 3070. Sometimes the cell reads 600, sometimes 1900 and occasionally it'll read 3100. It must be generating because FC is hovering around 3-5 without manual dosing. I did the acid cleaning as they recommended but that didn't work. They want me to test phosphates which I don't have a test for so I'll have to go to the pool store next week. From what I'm reading they believe high phosphates can make a salt cell stop working. I'm guessing they won't warranty without that phosphate test. What do I do if the phosphates are high?

7% (lowest it'll go)
AL-0
v1.59
t-9

FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 50
calcium 200
Total Alkalinity 40
perfect clarity

I wouldn't trust pool store results in this case; they want to sell you poor quality phosphate reducer.

You can get the Taylor K-1106 if you want a test you can trust. Heck, maybe even the Natural Chemistry test strips would be more reliable than the pool store?
I'll order the strips. If InyoPools won't warranty without treating phosphates then I'll have to do something....

InyoPools told me to bring CYA up to 80 and add non-chlorine shock :oops: I don't have any chlorine loss so I have no idea what they're trying to accomplish.
I'm ignoring that advice and asked them if they were going to warranty the cell or not, they said it had to be tested at the local Hayward dealer...which we don't have so I'll have to call our local pool store and see if they have the ability to test.

Ummm 🤔 mps is for oxidizing cc’s- which you don’t have…
even if you did, chlorine is a better solution with less side effects.
I do agree with some cya increase if you aren’t using your auto cover but it has no bearing on the low salt light. I hope you find someone to test your cell locally.
It sounds like it’s dying with what you are describing. Hopefully they will replace it under warranty. It doesn’t seem like you would need to run it very much to produce the fc needed with your pool volume & auto cover. It should have definitely lasted you more than a year or so of use. Is this a generic cell or genuine Hayward?

Ummm 🤔 mps is for oxidizing cc’s- which you don’t have…
even if you did, chlorine is a better solution with less side effects.
I do agree with some cya increase if you aren’t using your auto cover but it has no bearing on the low salt light. I hope you find someone to test your cell locally.
It sounds like it’s dying with what you are describing. Hopefully they will replace it under warranty. It doesn’t seem like you would need to run it very much to produce the fc needed with your pool volume & auto cover. It should have definitely lasted you more than a year or so of use. Is this a generic cell or genuine Hayward?
It's a genuine Hayward.

I wasn't aware I could do that. I'll start down that path.
Did you register your cell? If so it may be a little easier but regardless they will ask you where you bought it, date, etc. & I believe inyopools is an authorized dealer so there shouldn’t be an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hayward doesn't let you submit a claim as a consumer (at least that's what they told me). The pool store is in another city so I'm waiting to see if cleaning the DE grids in TSP/Ahh-Some fixes the salt cell problem.

Hayward doesn't let you submit a claim as a consumer (at least that's what they told me). The pool store is in another city so I'm waiting to see if cleaning the DE grids in TSP/Ahh-Some fixes the salt cell problem.
I hate to hear that- I guess u are stuck dealing with a dealer.
But I don’t see how cleaning the filter grids will change the conditions you are experiencing with the cell 🤷‍♀️

I hate to hear that- I guess u are stuck dealing with a dealer.
But I don’t see how cleaning the filter grids will change the conditions you are experiencing with the cell 🤷‍♀️
Well, the cell seems to be functioning 24 hours after the grid cleaning and filter pressure is normal. Water clarity was perfect the entire time, no chlorine loss, but pressure was higher than normal and I know there was a lot of mechanic-husband-oil in the grids. So perhaps the oil did something to the cell. I'll keep monitoring and report back. I did bring chlorine level up to SLAM after the grid cleaning and shut the cell off overnight. Today it's measuring salt level correctly (at least so far).

I'm on day 2 of running with freshly TSP'd grids and salt cell is now working perfectly. It had to be the oil. Phosphate test came up cream color which is 0 on the test strip bottle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.