Introduction and help getting pool in order after a fresh fill

omgar

Jul 12, 2022
Merced, CA
Hello everyone! Thank you for providing this great resource.

I'm a new pool (and home) owner in California. Here are the specs: 15k gal, plaster, 1 HP Hayward MaxFlo XL, Hayward cartridge filter, solar heater, Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pool cleaner, TF-PRO Test Kit. For the past several months I've had the previous owners pool company maintaining it. In the interest of saving money I decided to take over maintenance ourselves. The last thing the pool techs did was drain due to extremely high CYA (tech explained that is the only way of removing CYA, which I've now confirmed after going through Pool School. :D)

I just finished filling from our city source. Here are the test results I got back:

FC: 0.0
pH: 8.3
TA: 100
CH: 75
CYA: 0

What should be done first to get these chemicals right? Lower pH first? Will lowering pH also fix my high alkalinity? Adjust CH next? We have pretty hard water here so I expected CH to be a little higher. We don't use a water softener.
When do I adjust CYA? It's pretty cold here right now, low 40s throughout the night and high 50s in the day. Should I bring it up to 30ppm to start?
After all that should I then add my chlorine?

Thank you everyone! :)

Welcome to the forum!
First, add chlorine. Get FC to 3ppm. Use liquid chlorine.
Add CYA. Get it to 30 ppm. Use the sock method to add.
Then lower pH to 7.6. Use muriatic acid.
EDIT -- I would test CH of the fill water (from the tap they used).
I suggest you read through
Pool Care Basics

Reactions: omgar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.