Intro and First Test Results

Olemiss540

May 18, 2021
Orange Beach, AL
Hello TFP group! Just finished a home purchase with an 11,000 gallon in ground chlorine plaster pool and did my first test run. It has been "professionally" maintained to this point so looking for help getting rolling quickly on TFP's methods. Test kit is a Taylor k-2006c!

FC: 4ppm
CC: 0.4ppm
PH: 8.0
Acid drop test: 2 drops to 7.6 and 3 drops to 7.4
TA: 100
CH: 250
CYA: Very Low (plaster refinished this winter and water completely replaced in the process) possibly around 15?

Besides liquid chlorine (have 30# of tablets remaining as well), what other chemicals do you recommend I stockpile? What would be a good method to start addressing the pool readings above and slowly improvement them?

Will be doing lots of reading but wanted to get everyone's take. Also, the pool has a 15 YO SWG that was "struck by lightening a long time ago" and never put back in service. The panel has various readouts so it is still powered it appears, wondering if the cartridge (turbo cell T-15) is all that needs replaced? Any recommendations on diagnosing and if I should just jump straight into repair of this unit or continue my path with the liquid bleach while I learn to fine tune?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You are actually one of those rare cases where using some tabs for a while may not be such a bad thing. However, you do need a CYA of at 30 first. Tabs will add CYA but not fast enough. So I would add about 15 ppm of CYA via the sock-soaking method and validate the CYA in a day or two. Once your CYA is ~ 30 ppm, then you can resume tabs with the expectation of elevating the CYA to about 40-50 for summer. Don't use tabs past a CYA of 50 though, and as the CYA increases, be sure to increase the FC as well if the tabs don't keep it strong enough. Liquid chlorine/regular bleach will do. Always balance FC to CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

Side note - Keep in mind tabs are acidic and can over time lower the pH and TA. Just be sure the pH and TA don't crash too low with tab use.

Should I focus my attention on CYA and Chlorine for the time being and not worry about the other results until those come in line?
For the most part yes. If you have some muriatic acid handy, you could add a little to bring the pH down to about 7.7-7.8. Definitely keep the FC in the 4-5 range to avoid algae. Once your stabilizer arrives, add it and be sure to keep the FC balanced to the CYA per the FC/CYA Levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.