Intex Ultra XTR Pool - thoughts?

Aug 11, 2013
Moved from here.

I am researching the Ultra XTR pool. It seems the XTR has double powder coating over the galvanized metal frames.

I have had the Intex Easy Set (inflatable tube) and the nice thing about this set-up is - it won't rust. Kind of looks a little trashy though... I have also noticed the dye in the liner quickly fades away.

Was looking at buying a "real" pool from the local swimming pool companies, and most of them will void the warranties if you are using a SWG setup.

I live in New Orleans, so the humidity and moisture are huge factors to corrosion.

So to those who have bought the Ultra XTR pool, what are your thoughts? Have you experienced any rust? How has the liner color been holding up?

Reactions: Poolypool2019
I have had mine up for 6 years now, running SWG, no XTR double powder coating.
Last year I noticed a couple of welds starting to develop a bit of rust, nothing major but there. The external powder coating is still intact on the galvanized tubes. the trouble arises from the interior of the weld, which is not powder coated and by being welded kills the galvanization in the area. So add a bit of splash out over the years and the weld will start to rust from the inside, salt or not.
I will probably replace the pool around year 10 or so, and when I do I will make sure to get some white rust paint and spray the inside of the tee's liberally as the powder coating does not cover the inside of the welds.

Reactions: cmcree
I have had mine up for 6 years now, running SWG, no XTR double powder coating.
Last year I noticed a couple of welds starting to develop a bit of rust, nothing major but there. The external powder coating is still intact on the galvanized tubes. the trouble arises from the interior of the weld, which is not powder coated and by being welded kills the galvanization in the area. So add a bit of splash out over the years and the weld will start to rust from the inside, salt or not.
I will probably replace the pool around year 10 or so, and when I do I will make sure to get some white rust paint and spray the inside of the tee's liberally as the powder coating does not cover the inside of the welds.

Do you think the XTR with the powder coating on the inside would prevent this? If you're painting the inside, I believe there is a cold galvanizing spray you can try.

10 years of use seems like a pretty good run!

Do you think the XTR with the powder coating on the inside would prevent this? If you're painting the inside, I believe there is a cold galvanizing spray you can try.

10 years of use seems like a pretty good run!
It appears the inside of the weld (root) is the cause here. Regular coating with galvanized tubes hold up pretty good. The trouble arises from the welding procedure which burns off the galvanizing/zinc. There is a bit of overspray from the powder coating that gets inside, just not enough.
Hayward skimmer install is pretty easy to do, just take your time is all.

One thing I just thought of, my pool was the last year of round legs/top rails. The year after they went to the "Ultra" design which is an oval tube, which probably allows them to get the same strength with less metal..
Correction Walmart still sells my pool

Last edited:
I live on the Texas gulf coast. Had an Intex 18x52 ultra frame. Used the pool for 2 summers and started noticing rust towards the end of the tubes where they lock into the connectors. When I took them apart I saw they were corroded pretty bad. Thank God I bought the extended warranty from Walmart. When I called them they had me send pictures of the damage. They said they covered that damage but couldn’t send the parts so they refunded me the purchase price. I’m about to buy a new one but I think I’m going to paint the ends with rust protective paint & see if that helps. Whatever you do, buy the Walmart warranty. Money well spent.

Reactions: cmcree
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.