Intex Ultra XTR Frame 20' x 48" Equipment Upgrades?

Dirrby

Gold Supporter
Oct 26, 2020
Poway, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
This year I’m finally putting up a pool! I’m really excited about this and want to make sure I set myself up for success. I was debating between 20 and 24 ft. and everything from Intex to partially buried all resin pool from Pool Factory. A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a 20’ x 48” Intex ultraframe from Walmart online for $759 and pulled the trigger. Why not, it will give us a few years to figure out whether 20 ft. is enough pool and if we use it enough to justify something more permanent down the line.

For the equipment my number one priority is ease of maintenance. The pool holds a maximum of 8K gallons but I want to be able to accommodate something bigger if we decide to go that route in the future. At the moment I’m planning on purchasing the below equipment. Low cost high value is my jam. Please let me know if I'm overlooking better options or if I should steer clear of anything.

CaliMar Variable Speed Pump, 3 HP ($489)
Waterway Crystall Water Cartridge filter, 425 sq ft. ($746)
CaliMar Chlorinator, 40K gallons ($625)
Dolphin Proteus DX3 Robot (automatic cleaning cycles) ($649)
Hayward Dyna-Skim ($41)
Harbor freight anit fatigue mats
Sun2Solar 800 series solar cover ($94)

The 3 HP pump might be oversized and I'm interested if there is any reason I should instead go with 1.5 or 2 HP. The manual states it will run as low as 450 rpm and my understanding is that it will use roughly the same amount of energy at lower flow rates as the 1.5 or 2 HP but will be quieter overall at the lower RPM. Any advice is much appreciated!

Reactions: charliej
This year I’m finally putting up a pool! I’m really excited about this and want to make sure I set myself up for success. I was debating between 20 and 24 ft. and everything from Intex to partially buried all resin pool from Pool Factory. A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a 20’ x 48” Intex ultraframe from Walmart online for $759 and pulled the trigger. Why not, it will give us a few years to figure out whether 20 ft. is enough pool and if we use it enough to justify something more permanent down the line.

For the equipment my number one priority is ease of maintenance. The pool holds a maximum of 8K gallons but I want to be able to accommodate something bigger if we decide to go that route in the future. At the moment I’m planning on purchasing the below equipment. Low cost high value is my jam. Please let me know if I'm overlooking better options or if I should steer clear of anything.

CaliMar Variable Speed Pump, 3 HP ($489)
Waterway Crystall Water Cartridge filter, 425 sq ft. ($746)
CaliMar Chlorinator, 40K gallons ($625)
Dolphin Proteus DX3 Robot (automatic cleaning cycles) ($649)
Hayward Dyna-Skim ($41)
Harbor freight anit fatigue mats
Sun2Solar 800 series solar cover ($94)

The 3 HP pump might be oversized and I'm interested if there is any reason I should instead go with 1.5 or 2 HP. The manual states it will run as low as 450 rpm and my understanding is that it will use roughly the same amount of energy at lower flow rates as the 1.5 or 2 HP but will be quieter overall at the lower RPM. Any advice is much appreciated!
I have a Coleman 24x54 and I purchased a 2 Hp Sandpump filter, it more than takes care of it. It shoots water clear across the pool- my fountain shoots great and I have limited cleaning in my pool last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.