Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I’m finally getting my pool set up (better late than never....long story and I am not happy about it!) and bought a Hayward in-wall skimmer (see model in my signature). I know there’s a million tutorials on how to install it but I’m getting conflicting info on two of my questions...

1. Do we need to cut and install the skimmer before or after filling the pool to a certain point? This part makes me nervous.

2. If we can’t get the in-wall skimmer installed until this weekend (husband is off work after working a month straight!) but are putting the pool up tomorrow (Wednesday), what should I do? Buy a regular surface mount skimmer for the meantime or just use a net skimmer until the in-wall one is installed?

My pool is in my signature. What a nightmare the preparation has been so far but I’m praying it’ll all be worth it. Any additional tips and tricks for a new Intex Ultra Frame owner would also be VERY much appreciated! Thanks in advance!! :)

Just use your net skimmer -- no need to get an over the wall skimmer.

I'm getting ready to install the same through wall skimmer in my pool. I plan on draining the pool below where the skimmer will be, so that there is still tension in the wall, then cutting the hole and installing per instructions. Not gonna cut the gasket unless it's already in two pieces.

Fill to just below skimmer position. Make sure to fit the skimmer high enough that you don't lose any depth. Mount the skimmer without gasket but do not tighten the screws. Cut the liner inside the skimmer. Remove skimmer, install gasket and reinstall skimmer. Tighten the screws. Alternatively, cut the gasket in two and install prior to cutting the liner.

You could fill it up over the skimmer line, then drain when the skimmer arrives. It's not that much water really. The hole you cut can be traced with a sharpie, then use an exacto knife to cut it out, about .5mm larger than your sharpie mark, but no more (cut on the outside edge of the line). If the hole is a little small and buckles the gasket a little when you put it in the hole, you can shave off a little more if needed. You could use a typical box cutter with a nice sharp blade, but the exacto knife is so much more controllable.

Watch out for those screws Hayward sends with the skimmer... they're a b and a half to get screwed in. It's like they're a cross between a machine and a sheet metal screw, that sometimes just don't go in. I ended up buying new stainless steel sheet metal screws to replace them all.

Oh lort y’all are making me nervous!! Lol thankfully hubby likes doing stuff like this so I’m going to sit back and mind my own business lol! I did end up ordering an Intex mount skimmer for the time being in case he gets lazy (a very real possibility!) from Amazon for $20 which should be here tomorrow or Saturday. This pool is going to be the death of me lol

Inyo pools told me not to try and install a through the wall skimmer on my Intex, apparently others have successfully?
I've done it twice successfully. I see no reason for this cautionary advice, based on my own experience, and the fact that many others here have done so as well. It seems scary but it's super straightforward and works nicely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.