Intex Sand Pump and Daily Backwashing?

Kimbeelee

Apr 19, 2023
Mineral Wells, TX
Hello ya'll, new forum member/ new pool owner. Got the Intex 24'x12' set up and filled on April 9th. After 3 days I had to backwash the manual said frequent backwashing may be needed when 1st stetting up. Since Monday 4/17 I've had to backwash daily! I have the pump set to run for 8 hrs, after 4 hrs my water jet pressure drops and my psi is in the yellow. It's the drop in water pressure that concerns me cause then the skimmer isn't skimming and the water isn't being filtered. It's been very windy here and lots of dust in the air, I'm in the country and lots of bugs! I vacuum/ remove the bugs daily, the amount of giant mosquitos, gnats and moths I've been removing is mind blowing! We are under water restrictions here and well backwashing daily is gonna be an issue. Should I get a bigger filter that can handle the windy TX dust? Can you point me in the right direction? There is so much information out there and I'm just so overwhelmed trying to figure out what needs to be done. Is it even the dust/ gnats causing the issue?

Hello ya'll, new forum member/ new pool owner. Got the Intex 24'x12' set up and filled on April 9th. After 3 days I had to backwash the manual said frequent backwashing may be needed when 1st stetting up. Since Monday 4/17 I've had to backwash daily! I have the pump set to run for 8 hrs, after 4 hrs my water jet pressure drops and my psi is in the yellow. It's the drop in water pressure that concerns me cause then the skimmer isn't skimming and the water isn't being filtered. It's been very windy here and lots of dust in the air, I'm in the country and lots of bugs! I vacuum/ remove the bugs daily, the amount of giant mosquitos, gnats and moths I've been removing is mind blowing! We are under water restrictions here and well backwashing daily is gonna be an issue. Should I get a bigger filter that can handle the windy TX dust? Can you point me in the right direction? There is so much information out there and I'm just so overwhelmed trying to figure out what needs to be done. Is it even the dust/ gnats causing the issue?
Welcome to TFP!! :shark:

This sort of issue is most likely a pool chemical issue (Likely you have algae (even if you can't see it)). It MAY be dirt, but I'd be surprised.

When you get your TF-100, post a full set of results.

Also, do an Overnight Chlorine loss test. Print out the instructions, read them three times and do the test and report back. Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

OCLT will tell us if you have algae.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I did not realize it may be a pool chemical issue, my water is so clear and looks refreshing, just needs to warm up a little for swimming! All I have are test strips and well I can't read them. I can not differentiate the color changes. I'm hoping the TF-100 will be a huge difference! I will update once I get the TF-100!

Welcome to the forum.

If your skimmer will let you, put hair nets in it to capture the larger debris before it gets to your filter.
You can get them off Amazon (100 for about $10) or you might be able to get some to try at Walmart, drug store, etc. They are the type of hair nets used in food service.

Welcome to the forum.

If your skimmer will let you, put hair nets in it to capture the larger debris before it gets to your filter.
You can get them off Amazon (100 for about $10) or you might be able to get some to try at Walmart, drug store, etc. They are the type of hair nets used in food service.
Thanks! I did purchase filter socks, put one on the skimmer bucket yesterday....Hair nets you say so much cheaper!! I'll have to get hair nets next time!

I got my TF-100 kit on Saturday. Took me three hours to go through everything (reading and re-reading/ watching youtube videos on how to do the tests, and it still sounded like a foreign language. I had my pool water sample in a 20 oz water bottle...almost taking a swig of my pool water twice! I'm sure I'm over complicating things. Do I continue with my test results in this thread? or make a new one in the testing/ balancing water section? Does the app automatically let you see my test log? I'm pretty sure I need to slam, do I need to wait till the weather is sunny? or can I slam in rainy/ cloudy weather?

I got my TF-100 kit on Saturday. Took me three hours to go through everything (reading and re-reading/ watching youtube videos on how to do the tests, and it still sounded like a foreign language. I had my pool water sample in a 20 oz water bottle...almost taking a swig of my pool water twice! I'm sure I'm over complicating things. Do I continue with my test results in this thread? or make a new one in the testing/ balancing water section?
Here is fine, we have the context of your current situation.
Does the app automatically let you see my test log?
Yes, I can see your logs.
I'm pretty sure I need to slam, do I need to wait till the weather is sunny? or can I slam in rainy/ cloudy weather?
You can SLAM anytime. Did you perform this test?...Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

That will tell us if you need to slam.

OCLT results FC 1.5 @ 7pm 4/24 FC 1.5 @7am 4/25
Step 2 of the OCLT...

After the sun goes down, and at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition of the day, test your water for FC using the FAS-DPD test making sure your FC level is at least above 3ppm.

Looking at your logs, is your CYA actually 20? You need to get your FC up and keep it up...always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, my CYA is not really 20. The tube was completely full and the black dot was only partially obscured so I didn't know what number to put.
What have you used to date to chlorinate the pool? Everything you have added.
This is a new pool and fill. Did you add any stabilizer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.