Intex sand filter pump not working

Jun 11, 2016
Lawrence , KS
We have an above ground Summer Waves pool and upgraded to a second-hand Krystal Clear 16" pump system last year. It has the saltwater system also, but the people giving it away said that part didn't work, so we haven't messed with that yet. I've just continued to use chlorine and the difference in how it cleaned my pool was amazing. Setting it up this year, however, the pump wouldn't turn on at all. Getting power, hums, then stops, like it's shut down. The first thing we've discovered is that the center hub pipe (the white tube that goes down the middle of the sand) in the sand has completely deteriorated and is in pieces. We haven't had time to open up the motor yet, but would that be enough to keep the pump from running? And would anyone know if we can just buy some PVC pipe and replace that? The piece at Intex is out of stock (of course). Next step is looking at the motor, but just wondering if anyone has seen this before or has any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• Snip20210621_2.png
    Snip20210621_2.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 6
Hi Lisa - did you double check that all shut off valves b/t the skimmer and pump are open? Same thing on the lines that lead from filter to pool; make sure all valves are open. Did you open the pump basket and fill with water to prime the pump before turning it on? Did you unplug the pump and check to see if the pump impellar spins freely ensuring nothing is jammed in there. Just want to cover the basics first.

The broken pipe serves to pull water from the bottom of the sand filter to the top of the filter valve where it then is returned to the pool when the valve is FILTER mode. The broken pipe will disrupt that filtering process.

However, if you check everything else I mentioned above, you can bypass that broken tube by placing the pump in RECIRCULATE mode. This will perhaps allow you to trouble shoot your pump, but the pipe will have to be replaced to filter the water.

I'm not familiar enough with your pump to know if there is a shut down feature on your pump to prevent overheating. If so, it may reset itself if it cools down.

Hopefully others will chime in that are more familiar with your specific pump.

Greg

Hi Lisa - did you double check that all shut off valves b/t the skimmer and pump are open? Same thing on the lines that lead from filter to pool; make sure all valves are open. Did you open the pump basket and fill with water to prime the pump before turning it on? Did you unplug the pump and check to see if the pump impellar spins freely ensuring nothing is jammed in there. Just want to cover the basics first.

The broken pipe serves to pull water from the bottom of the sand filter to the top of the filter valve where it then is returned to the pool when the valve is FILTER mode. The broken pipe will disrupt that filtering process.

However, if you check everything else I mentioned above, you can bypass that broken tube by placing the pump in RECIRCULATE mode. This will perhaps allow you to trouble shoot your pump, but the pipe will have to be replaced to filter the water.

I'm not familiar enough with your pump to know if there is a shut down feature on your pump to prevent overheating. If so, it may reset itself if it cools down.

Hopefully others will chime in that are more familiar with your specific pump.

Greg
Thanks for all those suggestions and clarifying what the pipe is needed for. Sounds like our next step is to still open up the motor and check it for obstructions. But that we will still need to replace the pipe in order to filter the water. It does have an overheating shutdown feature, but since this has happened from the very first time I turned it on in months, it shouldn't be overheated. Maybe someone else can tell me if I can use PVC pipe in place of the actual piece for the pipe hub. Thanks again! I'll update if I figure anything else out.

That stand pipe is basically PVC, so as long as you go with exactly the same size it should be fine. Schedule 40 is what you want… it’s sturdier.

Reactions: digidoggie18
That stand pipe is basically PVC, so as long as you go with exactly the same size it should be fine. Schedule 40 is what you want… it’s sturdier.
Thanks! Here's a better picture of what I'm dealing with, now that I've gotten the sand out and the laterals unscrewed. Any chance you know how tall this pipe needs to be? The website doesn't give any dimensions that I can find. It is a Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 16" and Saltwater System, Model CS20110. And is the piece on the left just a little holder for the bottom of the pipe hub?

Attachments

• 20210624_123004.jpg
    20210624_123004.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 9
Lisa - the piece that the laterals connect to sits at the bottom of the filter and then runs up through the sand and connects to the valve at the top of the sand filter. You should be able to place that piece at the bottom of the sand filter and with a tape measure, measure the distance from the piece pictured to top of the sand filter. You will then have to shorten that measureent a bit to account for exactly how it ties into the bottom of the valve (cut it a bit long and then make a final cut). I would first double check to make sure that standard PVC diameter pipe will fit with what you have...Intext is notorious for using there own odd ball size materials. Good luck.

Lisa - the piece that the laterals connect to sits at the bottom of the filter and then runs up through the sand and connects to the valve at the top of the sand filter. You should be able to place that piece at the bottom of the sand filter and with a tape measure, measure the distance from the piece pictured to top of the sand filter. You will then have to shorten that measureent a bit to account for exactly how it ties into the bottom of the valve (cut it a bit long and then make a final cut). I would first double check to make sure that standard PVC diameter pipe will fit with what you have...Intext is notorious for using there own odd ball size materials. Good luck.
Thank you for all the good advice on how to measure. At this point it seems nearly impossible to get that pipe out of the hub, so we may have to wait until I can actually order the piece from Intex. Stupid thing is only about $6 and an easy fix if they only had it in stock! Meanwhile I have the old wimpy Summer Waves filter that came with the pool hooked back up, and it worked for a couple of days before giving out on us also. May be a short pool season for us, as I'm not ready yet to pay the exorbitant prices for a new pump this summer. Thanks, everyone who tried to help us!

Reactions: digidoggie18
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.