Intex Saltwater Generator Died

Mar 14, 2018
East Northport, NY
This is our 3rd season with our current intex pool and our SWG just died. We can't seem to get out of "low salt" error mode, even though I have now added too much salt! Oops! (it took me a couple rounds to realize the sensor on the generator was the problem.

I have also done the "soak electrodes in vinegar thing" (twice, actually) with no results.

At any rate, this was planned to be our final season with this pool regardless. And at this point, I can't find a new generator to purchase even if I did want to invest in a new one.

So my question is this:
- Do I just forget about the generator, add whatever amount of clorox is needed on a regular basis, and continue to maintain everything else as I always have (using the trouble free testing kit and method)?
- Anything I'm missing with this approach? Will this end up being harsh on my kids' skin, etc?

Thanks for the help!

Hopefully someone else can chime in on the SWCG as i’ve not run one on my pool.

Re-visit the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry articles to refresh the knowledge. Basically yes, adding an appropriate amount of liquid bleach each day is the process. Accurate testing is the backbone of good pool care. Make sure you have one of the Test Kits Compared.

Provided your PH, CYA and FC levels are balanced you won’t have any harshness for swimmers.

Stay away from Chlorox brand as they have started including additives that you don’t want in your pool. Just plain, unscented, not splashless bleach. Personally I like buying dedicated pool liquid chlorine as the concentration is higher than bleach available in my area so fewer bottles to lug around. It’s not difficult once you get into the daily rhythm

You can certainly maintain your pool properly as a non-salt pool.

Is there visible build-up on the cell?

Thanks for the replies. No visible build up that I can see and I soaked in vinegar twice. Since posting this, I found lots of other threads where people have had the same issue. The SWGs are usually pretty cheap, but of course totally unavailable this year.

So I will move forward with non-SWG maintenance. I have the rest of my chemicals balanced following TFP. Do I need to lower my salt levels though? I hate to have to start re-working CYA, etc.

The salt won’t hurt anything- before u drain to lower cya a little try removing the cell & going between the plates with a credit card to push out any build up. It likes to hide there. Also look on the intex website for replacement cells although it may be a long shot.

Thanks for the replies. No visible build up that I can see and I soaked in vinegar twice. Since posting this, I found lots of other threads where people have had the same issue. The SWGs are usually pretty cheap, but of course totally unavailable this year.

So I will move forward with non-SWG maintenance. I have the rest of my chemicals balanced following TFP. Do I need to lower my salt levels though? I hate to have to start re-working CYA, etc.
Just follow the FC/CYA Levels for non-swg pools. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.