Intex Pool legs on foam

otherguy

Feb 24, 2021
MO
I see people in past post have put foam down, taped together, then put the tarp on top of the foam and then installed the pool.

1.) Can you just set the legs on the foam or will the legs crush into or through the foam? I am using the XPS foam board 1" thick.
or
Is it better to find where the legs are going and cut out the foam and put pavers down for the legs to be directly on those?

2.) If you do need to cut out the foam, how do you know where the legs go, do you partially setup the pool, mark the legs, them move the pool to make the cuts then move it back? or am I not thinking of this correctly, because I know as the pool fills it expands and the legs can move out based on when not full.

Intex 18x52 pool
Thanks

Last edited:
The top of the paver should be flush with the too of the foam. So yes you need to either set the pavers first then do the foam around them. Or lay the foam down and cut the pavers into it.

The best way to line up the pavers is to setup the frame mark paver locations then set the pavers.

Intex includes in the instructions a layout drawing showing the installed dimensions of the pool. It looks like the 18x52 has legs that are ment to be vertical when installed. I wouldn't expect them to push out too much.

The legs will push out as the pool fills so you will need to account for that. If you set the legs directly on foam they may not be able to move as they should and might bend.

Thanks for the clarification, I think I understand better after watching some videos. Seems like the legs are going to move until about the foot of water is in, so they need to be more toward the front of the paver so that as it pushes out it will end up in the middle.

I will have the tarp on top of the foam and pavers so I will just have to mark them on the tarp so I can see where things are at.

I don’t know that you need tarp of top of foam. What made you decide to do that?

I don’t know that you need tarp of top of foam. What made you decide to do that?

Just what I have seen others do. Been reading a lot of older threads on here and have seen it a few times.
I have even seen some do the tarp on the ground then foam on top, maybe that is better, at least the tarp would act as a weed barrier that way for the portion that is still exposed after installation.

Last edited:
Tarp is supposed to be a weed barrier, so it goes next to the ground.
We plan on working up the ground for the entire tarp size (20x20 i think) so if we do that and we are going to put rock around the pool, should we trim the exposed part of the tarp and use regular weed fabric then rocks? Thinking the tarp might hold water where weed fabric will let the water drain through.

I mean that tarp looks pretty flimsy anyway and maybe water would get through to drain, not sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I dont spam a bunch of posts, I have a few pictures in other threads.. We have a 12x24 intex, with foam, and with it wrapped (I wrapped because why not more protection from the elements??)

So I dont spam a bunch of posts, I have a few pictures in other threads.. We have a 12x24 intex, with foam, and with it wrapped (I wrapped because why not more protection from the elements??)
What is wrapped? The whole pool?

You just want to avoid trapping moisture, in order to prevent rust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.