Whatsername

Jun 9, 2019
Texas
Over the last 10 years we've had 4 intex pools our oldest two were both used when we got them and lasted a long while. The liners got a lot of holes and wear but the metal frames were great. We bought a brand new metal frame that we had to replace after 3 years because of rust so we decided to get an ultra frame and that rusted out after 2 summer's off use. To the point that the legs snapped and whole sections were crumbling. We did leave the ultra frame up over the winter and that was the first time we had done that. After contacting intex about it they pretty much said please don't nce discouraged from buying our products in the future and I'm not sure what else I expected. My mom bought a new intex prism pool last weekend and we are putting it up this coming weekend. She does use a salt water generator which I know contributes to the rust but we all prefer that. We live in Texas so it's pretty hot and I can only assume it contributes to breakdown as well. Has anyone successfully covered their pool parts in anything (rustoleum, clear coat of any kind) to ward off rust? Any help is very much appreciated.

The pictures are of the ultra frame we just took down.

Attachments

• 123_1_15.jpg
    123_1_15.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 123_1_19.jpg
    123_1_19.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 123_1_18.jpg
    123_1_18.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 123_1_17.jpg
    123_1_17.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 123_1_14.jpg
    123_1_14.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 123_1_13.jpg
    123_1_13.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You'll hear on the forum frequently that when it comes to pool water exposure, salt doesn't really contribute to corrosion like some might think. The amount is negligible. A low pH however does lead to corrosion. Still, depending on what part of TX you are in, corrosion can happen quicker than in other places (i.e. Corpus Christi versus El Paso). Here around S.A. it gets quite humid and that doesn't help. I have seen others use rust inhibitors like you noted on areas that are accessible. Can't hurt I suppose.

I didn't, but wish I had. I put up my prism frame last summer and will have to replace it next summer. The rust is pretty significant, but I think it'll hold up til the end of this swimming season. If I had it to do again, I'd definitely put something on it before setting it up. It can't hurt and surely it would help. I had rust spots only 3 weeks after putting mine up; before our first swim even. I think it was more an issue with the quality of the pool I got than anything else.

I don't know yet if it works, but I sprayed the lower third of the uprights, inside and out, with clear Rustoleum before we set the pool up. I'm going to wrap all the joints with silicone tape if it ever stops raining long enough for the joints to dry out. I think the key to keeping an Intex frame from rusting out on you is to keep everything as dry as you can.

I have a Bestway pool, and I think the frame is heavier than Intex and has a better quality powder coat on it. My frame parts are coated inside and out. I've seen where some Intex frames aren't coated on the inside of the members.I

Hope your new pool lasts longer than 2 years!

We are willing to try anything, she's in copperas cove so not quite as humid but the sun does bake everything. So a rust inhibitor or clear rustoleum? I want to coat inside and out of everything if we can. Since the last pool the only thing that didn't rust was the resin connectors but I don't think this pool has those. Did you use spray or paint on rustoleum? We were going to use spray a few years ago but couldn't get anything set up to do it where the wind didn't just blow everything around.

I mentioned these ideas to my mom, she doesn't have a garage or anything indoors to really work with spray or for setting anything to dry. I don't think them drying outside would be bad but I'll mention the paint on rustoleum. I'll look at some silicone tape as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.