intex pool first year on SWG, GREEN POOL! HELP!

If it is close to 7.2 you can choose to add acid OR start aeration. It isn't required that you get to 7.2 exactly - that's just a target. The closer to target you are the longer you get to wait before doing it all again.

ffmedicwife1997 said:
GreatCanadian said:
How much above 7.2? If it's close I would start aeration to bring it up again.

No i aked if and when it does get down to 7.2 is that when i start aeration

Yes I realize what you asked. And my response is yes. You also asked if it's above 7.2 should you add more acid to bring it to 7.2 prior to aeration. My response to that was the above. I mean the same as underwatervanya.

GreatCanadian said:
ffmedicwife1997 said:
GreatCanadian said:
How much above 7.2? If it's close I would start aeration to bring it up again.

No i aked if and when it does get down to 7.2 is that when i start aeration

Yes I realize what you asked. And my response is yes. You also asked if it's above 7.2 should you add more acid to bring it to 7.2 prior to aeration. My response to that was the above. I mean the same as underwatervanya.
oh I'm sorry great I misunderstood you. I hate the Internet sometimes for that reason you never know what the other person means sometimes lol

Morning test results,

FC = 4.5
CC = .5
PH = 7.2
TA = 270 (Still too high)
CYA =70 (FInally i think i got thi perfect)
SALT = 3,400 (Pool Calculator says add nope not being sreamed at)lol

ok for my ph the calculator is telling me to add 35ozs of washing soda or is the aeration on its on gonna bring it back up?
And my stabilizer is good but it telling me to add 3.5 ozs of stabilizer in the pool (think i will leave that one alone)

I think im finally learning all this just as the season will wind up in abou t month :eek:(
any suggestions or comments please feel free to add. im always open for suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ffmedicwife1997 said:
Morning test results,

FC = 4.5
CC = .5
PH = 7.2

ok for my ph the calculator is telling me to add 35ozs of washing soda or is the aeration on its on gonna bring it back up?
And my stabilizer is good but it telling me to add 3.5 ozs of stabilizer in the pool (think i will leave that one alone)

I think im finally learning all this just as the season will wind up in abou t month :eek:(
any suggestions or comments please feel free to add. im always open for suggestions.

You can change the target values to make them match your situation. They are just guidelines to start with. If you like where your CYA is (and I agree), change your target CYA number to 70. Now it will no longer tell you to add stabilizer. Also, since you are trying to lower TA, you might do what I do and keep my target pH at 7.2. I just ignore it until my pH gets over 7.6, but this will keep you from undoing your work trying to lower TA.

I would guess that your difference in TA test was testing error or just how far it is allowed to be off. I use the 10ml sample and each drop equals 25ppm for TA. This saves on time, reagent, and easier to keep track of how many drops for those of us with a high TA. I can tell be the color of the solution on the next to last drop which end of the 25ppm range I am closer to.

aa62579 said:
ffmedicwife1997 said:
Morning test results,

FC = 4.5
CC = .5
PH = 7.2

You can change the target values to make them match your situation. They are just guidelines to start with. If you like where your CYA is (and I agree), change your target CYA number to 70. Now it will no longer tell you to add stabilizer. Also, since you are trying to lower TA, you might do what I do and keep my target pH at 7.2. I just ignore it until my pH gets over 7.6, but this will keep you from undoing your work trying to lower TA.

I would guess that your difference in TA test was testing error or just how far it is allowed to be off. I use the 10ml sample and each drop equals 25ppm for TA. This saves on time, reagent, and easier to keep track of how many drops for those of us with a high TA. I can tell be the color of the solution on the next to last drop which end of the 25ppm range I am closer to.

Thank you for sharing the info with me. I will try the other way of testing hardness also. I am aerating the pool the only way I can. I'm using the return on it facing up. Can't put the hose in it otherwise that will throw off chemicals and overflow my pool. I jut want to test TA once a day correct and ph a couple times a day? to make sure ph is rising back up

I ended up buying a catfish after reading this thread. We had a lot of calcium buildup on our spa (waterfall) from the previous
owners keeping the pool out of balance. I used a chisel and hammer and cleaned it all up, leaving pieces all over the pool. The catfish
did an EXCELLENT job of cleaning it all up! I was amazed at how much suction it has. Thanks for the heads up!

ffmedicwife1997 said:
Ph is up from 7.2 this morning to 7.4 and now TA went from 270 to 275. One quick question I thought a few people put on here don't worry about testing it with the vinyl index pools.

Was the TA measured using 10ml or 25ml? If 10ml your precision is only 25ppm so it is not odd that it reports as 275.

Also there is no need to measure the TA every day in my opinion. You should measure at least every few days while you are working on lowering TA to see progress but if you measure daily you may feel like you aren't making progress. pH is more of a daily thing - particularly while you are lowering TA.

UnderWaterVanya said:
ffmedicwife1997 said:
Ph is up from 7.2 this morning to 7.4 and now TA went from 270 to 275. One quick question I thought a few people put on here don't worry about testing it with the vinyl index pools.

Was the TA measured using 10ml or 25ml? If 10ml your precision is only 25ppm so it is not odd that it reports as 275.

Also there is no need to measure the TA every day in my opinion. You should measure at least every few days while you are working on lowering TA to see progress but if you measure daily you may feel like you aren't making progress. pH is more of a daily thing - particularly while you are lowering TA.

I'm guessing the first measurement was done with the 25ml sample and the second was done with the 10ml sample. A few posts up I mentioned doing it that way when you know your TA is going to be high. I don't test my TA that often. I only test it when I need to add acid (because that is when you need an accurate number for the pool calculator) and honestly, it's probably every other time at that, so maybe 3-4 times per month.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.