Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Intex Ultra Frame has been up since late July and I’m keeping it up all winter and plan to do so until I buy a “real” pool. We are currently shopping around for new homeowners insurance and have no idea what to put for the “do you have a swimming pool?” question. It is not a “permanent” structure (I know “real” above grounds technically aren’t either, but you get my point). How on earth do I answer this question?

Does anyone have experience with this? I do not want to have to carry a crazy amount of extra liability coverage over a pool that I could drain and easily disassemble. Yes, I know people could drown just as easily as a real AGP or an in-ground pool but my point is, these pools are temporary. Obviously, the homeowners insurance company will be coming out to check out our property, so I am afraid to put “no” when filling out the questions online for a quote. Sorry for rambling. If anyone has any info on this, please let me know.

Oh and I don’t know if it makes a difference but we do have a fully fenced backyard and no children (nor do any come over to swim). We might have a few people over 1-2x a month max (a couple adult friends) to hang out in the pool. Other than that, it’s just me 90% of the time lol

Intex/Coleman/Bestway/Summer Waves pool owners who leave theirs up....did you mention your pool on your homeowners insurance policy? If so, did your rate go up? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :)

Last edited:
This was a big concern of mine before our build. I had heard 100 times from friends about their policies going up over $1000 or being dropped altogether. Of course a few years later when i was doing it i didnt remember which companies were the worst. When i called my company to tell them (USAA) they didnt care at all. The only thing they highly recommended was to get an umbrella policy for better covrage god-forbid. My standard home owners policy which was fine to cover my house wouldnt have gone far covering the type of injuries possible with an IG pool. USAA was traditionally only for military families but they opened it up to regular people with Liberty Mutual underwriting it. So those people would basically have USAA coverage/rules through Liberty Mutual. Seeing how you are shopping around already, give them a call.
Regardless of the company, call and ask a rep to get their answer on if your pool qualifies as a pool by their standards. And what that entails as far as coverage and rates go. It could vary greatly company to company. You could tell any of them no, and live 20 years and never need it. God-forbid you needed that coverage you wouldnt find out until afterwards if you were covered or not. So dont just 'look it up'. Call and discuss it for sure, and get apples to apples quotes instead of the commercial saying its cheaper.

Call, it's the easiest way to figure it out. We're buying a house now and putting an above ground pool up this summer. I got a few quotes, talked to reps from two different companies. Both said if it was fenced it didn't matter and wouldn't change any rates.

Call and discuss it for sure, and get apples to apples quotes instead of the commercial saying its cheaper.
Heh. A certain well advertised insurance company that offers a name your price tool quoted an insanely low price for our cars for 6 months. Literally less than half what we have and another two qoutes I got from other companies (those two being fairly close to what I have).

I figured something was fishy, but all coverages matched between quotes. Finally I found it, after clicking the small "10 discounts applied" link. While it didn't break down the specific discount amounts, one of the ten was a "online signup" bonus, a one time discount for buying that quote. Hmm, so you're implying I'm going to be in for a shock in 6 months when I renew, aren't you? I decided to pass on them due to such borderline shady price marketing tactics.

I decided to pass on them due to such borderline shady price marketing tactics.

Car dealers do it too....... in order to get the advertised max deal you need to be a returning leasee, in college and active duty in the armed forces.

Reactions: jseyfert3
Here in Texas as long as it’s fenced in with a lick on the gate you won’t get charged anything extra. Regardless I got an umbrella policy that costs me about $300/year just in case. From what I’ve read online people have been sued regardless if their pool is fenced in and gate locked. I wouldn’t risk it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.