Intex Filter Pump Question

kennyr35

Jun 11, 2021
Chicago
I just got my Intex 637R (1000 GPH filter) and Intex Deluxe Skimmer. I have a dual hose Intex Pool. One intake is connected the skimmer and the other has the normal strainer on it.

Everything seems to be working, as I am getting a good flow, but when I have the pump running is the pump chamber supposed to be completely full? When I open the housing and look inside only the very bottom of the pump has water.? I have tried the same setup but without the skimmer and it has the same result. When I turn off the pump, the chamber does fill up. I just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong.

Am I doing something wrong then? Even when I dont use the skimmer and just use the pump as normal, only the very bottom of the pump has water. When its running and I open it up, the top does not have water.
It looks like I am getting a good flow, just not sure why the pump wouldn't be completely full of water?

IEverything seems to be working, as I am getting a good flow, but when I have the pump running is the pump chamber supposed to be completely full?
Yes, there.should not be any air in the pump basket.

When I open the housing and look inside only the very bottom of the pump has water.?
When you open the.pump basket, it breaks the siphon so if the pump is above water level, water will flow out of the pump. If the pump is below water level, water will flow into the pump and out of the pump basket. Is the pump above or below the water level?

Your pump basket should be full. Can you post a few photos of pump basket with pump on and off, and also of skimmer from inside pool and a top view with skimmer cover off?

Do you have valves installed at regular suction line and at skimmer? Are you sure both are fully open?

Sorry about not responding earlier, I am not getting notifications for responses to this thread.

I have the 637R which has an air valve on top. The pump sits below the water level.
When I open the air valve, no water comes out of the top unless the pump is off.

Here are some pictures of the pump when on with the filter inserted and not inserted.
You can see the water at the very bottom of the pump, but it does not get much higher than that.

Attachments

• IMG_20210720_121617.jpg
    IMG_20210720_121617.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210720_121633.jpg
    IMG_20210720_121633.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 10
Kenny - what you describe sounds odd. Somehow your pump is getting starved. I have an Intex sand filter/pump, and it's sometimes hard to get it primed, but when its operating correctly, your pump should be full with water. The fact that it DOES fill up when OFF tells me your inlets are open and the pump is below the water level.

I guess the only advise I have is to check for any restrictions in the return line? And perhaps if there's a leak somewhere on the suction side?

Everything seems to be working, as I am getting a good flow, but when I have the pump running is the pump chamber supposed to be completely full? When I open the housing and look inside only the very bottom of the pump has water.? I have tried the same setup but without the skimmer and it has the same result. When I turn off the pump, the chamber does fill up. I just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong.
I have the 637R which has an air valve on top. The pump sits below the water level.
When I open the air valve, no water comes out of the top unless the pump is off.
This sounds normal. Pumps are not made to operate with the pump chamber open. SOP for pumps is with the pump hooked up but before turning on, open the air valve on the top of the pump basket until water comes out, then close the air valve. Now turn on the pump.

Most filters (including my Intex sand filter) have clear pump lids and you can see that with the lid closed, the pump basket is completely full.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But he is letting the pump basket fill up when pump is off.

It almost sounds like the connections are reversed - that when pump is on the suction is connected to the return side.

It almost sounds like the connections are reversed - that when pump is on the suction is connected to the return side.
I think it is a single unit with the pump under the filter housing, not sure how you could plumb it in reverse? there are only the two connections to and from the pool, no hose between pump and filter.

I think it is a single unit with the pump under the filter housing, not sure how you could plumb it in reverse? there are only the two connections to and from the pool, no hose between pump and filter.
That’s what I mean - it sounds like those two hoses are connected to pool in the wrong places.

Duh, now I see what you are saying. If it truly is a single unit, yeah, that would be impossible.

oh I see, it is a slightly different model that may have that stupid "hydro air technology" so if that was switched to intake instead of to pool, it might mess something up.

Those pool pumps are not designed to take the lid off of them while they are running. Those small pump filters are just big enough to push water back into the pool while using gravity to pull water down to the pump from the suction side. When it is running and you have good flow to the pool, it is working as intended. The only time to take lid off is to take out filter to clean or replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.