Intex Easy Set Pool 15 x 48 (Newbie Questions)

nyknicks

Jun 7, 2021
New Jersey
I'm trying to set up this pool for my kids, but I realized it is quite a challenge (mostly trying to meet the town regulations).
Fortunately, I was able to discover this forum from which I have been able to find so much helpful information and advice.
I've tried my best to search for my answers in other posts, but unable to find those that apply to my specific situation, I am posting a thread as I sorely need help.

My first question is in regards to bonding.
If I am understanding this correctly, a #8 copper wire perimeter is to be created with 4 equidistant points (lugs?) connected to the frame of the pool that is 18-24in away from pool inner lining and 4-6in deep?
Then this copper wire should also go through a lug on the filter pump which would essentially "connect" all these parts together?
However, this pool has no frame or any rods. It's all laminated PVC? and the filter pump is plastic (no conducive parts)? What am I supposed to do in this situation to properly bond the pool?

My town also mentioned a backflow preventer and drain. However, based on what I searched online, this doesn't seem applicable to my situation. If anything, I don't see any plumbing work is necessary. Am I missing something?

I apologize if I sound totally clueless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get this pool up before summer ends.

Welcome to the forum!
Does your town realize this is a temporary pool? Typically, what they are requesting would be for permanent / in-ground pools.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
I did mention it was only for the summer, showed them the online photo with specifications of the pool, and explained what kind of pool it was. However, they still seemed adamant about making me meet these requirements. I may give it one more try and explain what kind of pool it is, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Thank you for your response.

Your town’s rules are what need to be followed, but an Easyset is considered a temporary pool and as you say, there is nothing metal to bond.

Your town’s rules are what need to be followed, but an Easyset is considered a temporary pool and as you say, there is nothing metal to bond.
I agree and that's what I'm trying my best to do :). It's only challenging when I have no idea what to do and the town doesn't offer any real suggestions or solutions. They simply want me to bond the pool. I've tried speaking to electricians and were given mixed messages (some saying such a pool doesn't need bonding while others gave me hefty estimates for massive electrical work). In the end, if I can't figure out what they are looking for, I may resort to burying copper wire around the pool and have the town inspector let me know what I did wrong? Appreciate the response.

I agree and that's what I'm trying my best to do
Do you live in New Milford?
They use 2017 NEC 680.2 Def
Temporary Swimming Pools:(having outer walls of the pool 42” or less) are those of which have a maximum water level as described in Exhibit 680.1 NEC (the highest level that water can reach before it spills out) of 42” Does not require full Bonding of the water, equipment and equipotential bonding. As per part III of Article 680 of the NEC. Does not apply.

I know your pool says 48", but normally that means a water depth of 42".

The NEC definition is as follows:
Article 680.2 Definition Storable Swimming Pool, or Storable/Portable Spas and Hot Tubs.Swimming, wading, or immersion pools intended to be stored when not in use, constructed on or above the ground and are capable of holding water to a maximum depth of 42 in., or a pool, spa, or hot tub constructed on or above the ground, with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflat-able fabric walls regardless of dimension.

Reactions: nyknicks
I agree and that's what I'm trying my best to do :). It's only challenging when I have no idea what to do and the town doesn't offer any real suggestions or solutions. They simply want me to bond the pool. I've tried speaking to electricians and were given mixed messages (some saying such a pool doesn't need bonding while others gave me hefty estimates for massive electrical work). In the end, if I can't figure out what they are looking for, I may resort to burying copper wire around the pool and have the town inspector let me know what I did wrong? Appreciate the response.

Is there any metal anywhere near the pool location? If so, maybe that’s where they are getting stuck.

Reactions: nyknicks
Thank you to both, @mknauss and @kellyfair. I'm not in New Milford, but I'm very close. I assume the NEC would have the same authority in my town to where I can at least initiate a conversation. I'm planning to do that with the information you have provided and will make sure to mention no metals are near the pool.
Hopefully this can get me over the hump. Thank you again for your help!

Reactions: kellyfair
I did mention it was only for the summer, showed them the online photo with specifications of the pool, and explained what kind of pool it was. However, they still seemed adamant about making me meet these requirements. I may give it one more try and explain what kind of pool it is, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Thank you for your response.
Are you talking to the inspector directly or the office staff? Like others have said, Intex pools do not need bonding. I had 2 inspections for my pool. One was for location set up and then a final which included electrical inspection. When the inspector came to do the first inspection, he had to call his manager because he wasn't sure what was required. (Permits here are expensive, so my guess is that most people do not pull them if they take the pool down every year.)
In the end, they were satisfied with the set up as described in the Intex manual. Good luck!

Reactions: kellyfair
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.