Intex, 2100gph sand filter Pump leaks at the pre-filter/main pump junction..2nd season.

G.K.W.H.inthatorder

Bronze Supporter
Jun 9, 2018
Iowa
What can I do? I've recently been told to take it all apart again and apply vaseline to all the o-rings?? Apparently one can squeeze the seals too tight and the vaseline helps to...do what exactly? Make the rubber more malleable - makes a better seal maybe?
Anyway, I just replaced the vertical min/max shaft inside the sand tank, new sand, a new net, finally got a Taylor test kit! I was set for the summer...now this. :confused: There also seems to be some kind of weird pool and pool accessories shortage across the country, so if there are some pro-tips that anyone feels like sharing I'd be grateful...so grateful, especially if I don't have to order parts.
Until such time, it looks like its vaseline to the rescue!
Let me know if you need a pic. Thank you .

Definitely don’t use Vaseline. Vaseline can cause the rubber in the O-Ring to break down. You can use silicone grease though (you can find it in the plumbing section at Lowe’s or Home Depot). Sometimes over tightening can cause the O-Ring to deform and leak. Sometimes it’s hard to get it just tight enough without being too tight.

Also, I wouldn’t take it apart and add silicon grease to all the fittings, there‘s no need to do the ones that aren’t leaking.

Wow, you caught me literally minutes before I was going to vaseline those rings. Right, so no vaseline (sounded weird anyway). Great advice - its why I love this website. Thank you.
Follow up Question --> what about a silicon sealant (like the white "Tub N Tile" stuff) around where the diffuser and the main impeller housing fit together? Not for the rings themselves, but to actually bond the two halves of the pump. What kind of damage would I do with that stuff? Thank you again.

The silicone grease actually looks and feels very much like vaseline. I wouldn’t use a silicon sealant though. It will make a mess of things when and if you ever need to disassemble those connections.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.