Intex 13' Pool - First Time with Pool

bntyl85

May 20, 2020
Kahoka, MO
First, let me say that I've been reading so much on TFP and I love the information. We just sat up our first pool and I've enjoyed learning about it and more about water chemistry (I'm a high school chemistry teacher).
I wondered about an issue I'm having with my water clarity, but first some background information. We live in a small rural community in NE Missouri and I have to done about 30 mins to an hour to get to any store that has pool chemicals. I have been anxious to see up the pool so the water can start to warm up as well. So I filled the pool with municipal water and added chlorine bleach to raise the initial FC level to 10. I was trying to "shock" it before I had a test kit because I was afraid of algae growing in it in the couple of days before we would get to the store.
I have found TFP yet and so I bought algaecide at the store. Also, after adding chlorine bleach the water was slightly yellowish-brown looking, so I bought some clarifier. I added the algaecide, waited an hour then added the clarifier. Now we have a little rust-colored scum collecting on the underside of the solar cover near the outflow port (is that what you call it?). The water doesn't look significantly clearer (I added the clarifier yesterday). Any ideas on what to do? I hope I didn't screw up!
I did get a cheap test kit but my FC is over 5 ppm ( gauging from the kit color scale, how cloudy its been and that I've kept the solar cover on non-stop I'd assume it is near 10). The pH is 7.8. those are all of the numbers I have, I did order a better test kit yesterday once I found TFP and started reading more.

Any ideas on what to do? I hope I didn't screw up!
Yes and sort of yes. :) Welcome to TFP! :wave: As a chemistry teacher, you'll get these next few things I'm sure:
- As pool owners, water testing is the foundation of all we do.. Testing must be accurate and reliable. For that, you really need either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. I recommend the TF-100. See Test Kits Compared
- Stay out of the pool store. Not only will you save gas, but you'll save lots of $$$$. Read/save those Vital Links below in m y signature. Those will keep you on the right path.
- It sounds like you have iron in your water. Even if you're not on a well, the iron content must be high. That would explain the orange, rust-colored dust once chlorine was added. By the way, no need to spike the FC level that high. We'll come back to that.
- No more algacides or clarifiers. Algaecides add copper (no bueno) and clarifiers mess-up filters (gummy).

What now? Definitely the test kit. Then decide if you can have fresh water delivered. If not, you'll have to learn to live with iron-saturated water. To do that, you'll need the TF-100 test kit. You MUST control the pH on the lower 7 range (under 7.5). Also, the FC should be balanced carefully with the current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Remember though, the higher the iron content, the harder it is to control the reaction between iron and chlorine.

Lots of info, but let it digest. Let us know if you have more questions. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Nanifen
Ok. So I read on another pool forum about this problem and read recommendations to put something like a towel or a sock over the outflow to further filter. I tried this and caught a lot of the rusty "scum."
My pool looks a lot clearer today too - though that could be due to my pH dropping down to about 7.5 and that my FC dropped to 3 ppm yesterday (finally had a sunny day!) Maybe .ore of the iron is just ionized and not apparent?
Either way, so far so good as far as I'm concerned. Now i'm just waiting for the water to warm up enough to take a dip...75°F right now (chilly but I might just go for it!)

Good to hear things are looking a little better. :goodjob: Place the towel or polyfill in the skimmer. Many people do that. Continue to keep the pH under control and also make sure the FC doens't fall too low. If you get algae it requires a SLAM and a much higher FC which will aggravate the iron once again. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.