interviewing liner replacement people

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I have an in-ground 27K pool with a vinyl liner. This season is number 20 for this liner and I’ve been (successfully) patching it for a while, but I think it might be the time for a new one. 20 years is a good timespan I got out of it.

So I’m going to shop around (I’m in Mansfield, Mass) and just want to see if I’m missing something in my approach or maybe someone can share some gotchas I should be aware of.

Here is a list of things I plan on discussing with the liner people.

• The pool is operational right now and it’s not an emergency. What would be the best time for you to replace it – mid season, closing or opening in 2021?
  • I don’t have an easy way to drain all the water, will you truck it away? if yes, how much will it cost? I can come up with some piping to drain it into a storm drain as an alternative.
  • Are you concerned about the pool floating up and breaking the deck around it when it’s empty? And if not and it happens, what are you going to do about it?
  • I have a non-functioning pool light that I don’t want. Would you fill the cavity (how much extra?) or just put a new liner over it?
  • Will you truck the water in and how much will it cost or will you use my water (~$350)? It will take couple of days to fill the water from my line, will you run a vacuum non-stop to keep the liner in place for the duration?
  • Do you use liner lock. If liner comes off the track, will you come fix it?
  • How do you deal with wrinkles? Will you make sure none are present after you’re finished? How long can I call you after to come fix it?
  • What’s your policy about leaks if there are any present afterwards?
  • Payment. I want to pay a deposit and the rest afterwards when I’m happy with the results.

Easton Pool and Spa was the company that originally did the liner. I installed the liner lock when I moved in 10 years ago and it’s being working ok. The liner is stressed and rips where liner wanted to come out in the past. There are some wrinkles on the floor. But otherwise it held up well. The might have the original pool dimensions.

Does anyone have any recommendation for vendors in my area?
And should I go for the thickest liner?

Thank you!

Looks like a good question list.

@jimmythegreek anything to add to ask contractors about? liner thickness?

I would think twice about filling in the light. You need it for safety and future owners of your pool may want the light. Every year we have people who ask how they can reinstall the light that a prior owner removed when a new liner was linstalled

Here is an older discussion about liner replacement in MA...

Last edited:
There is likely a serial number printed on the backside of the old liner on the shallow side.

That would save 800 ish (in my region) not needing it custom measured. Mine was installed on the last hot day of October. 75 degree day...lucked out on that!

thank you guys. i will add few more points to my list:

- can you reuse my water
- will your estimate be itemized
- will you use S/N on the liner instead of re-measuring

question on S/N though, will they need to get in touch with a manufacturer of the liner to get the dimensions?

I think so. When I bought the house it was found out the liner was 23 years old, but they couldn't find any serial number nor who made it. So a custom measure was my only option. Of course now with the new one they know my dimensions for next time.

You got it covered. I wouldnt ditch the light. The most requested thing is cam you get my light working again. Most liner guys use bladders to hold water on site. Trucking in 27k gallons is about 1500 in my neck of the woods. You only need deep end filled fast and a foot into shallow then hose can take over. End of season is great time while its still warm out. Spring is worst time as its rainy amd not warm enough. 27mil is minimum I do lots of 30s on new pools and my own

Just got a first quote over the phone $7.5-8k. Way higher that I expected.

They want me to drain my water myself, and they will truck their own for $500-$600. they don't want to relay on SN to get the sizing and told me it costs $150 to measure. Wanted to do it mid season. They are installing 27/20 or 27 Latham or Vinyl works liners.

i looked online for bladders to hold the water. those look crazy! i don't think i have enough space around the pool for them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.