Intermittent pump shutoff/OmniLogic relay issues?

Oct 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
My main pool pump, when on spa infloor cleaner mode, stays on but will stop/restart every minute or so. I measured the 24v relay voltage, and it drops to about 18.

The same main pool pump when put on regular pool pump mode will turn off after a few minutes and not restart. The 24v relay voltage goes down to zero when this happens.

I already replaced the pump with a new one. I swapped relays (between main and secondary pump which does spa waterfall), which will cause the pump to work again periodically, but then the stopping comes back every few weeks.

Do I have a bad board? Bad firmware? Help! This driving me bananas.

That sounds like a bad board/connection, you might make sure the connector from the relay bank is plugged into the board good. There are 4 HV relays...have you tried all 4 to see if they all 4 exhibit the same behavior?

It's probably going to require a call to Hayward so they can troubleshoot it with you. Those HV relays should stay on as long as you tell them to. Have you upgraded the firmware lately? I would do that before calling tech support as they will most likely make you do that anyway.

I did try all 4, and they did the same thing. HOWEVER, something weird… I programmed the main pump as a spillway, and it stayed on! Something about the new firmware may be affecting the main pool pump. I wonder if it has to do with interlocks. I did a basic reprogram of the OmniLogic that only included the pool pump, and it worked. Is it possible that the new firmware corrupted something in programming?

I did try all 4, and they did the same thing. HOWEVER, something weird… I programmed the main pump as a spillway, and it stayed on! Something about the new firmware may be affecting the main pool pump. I wonder if it has to do with interlocks. I did a basic reprogram of the OmniLogic that only included the pool pump, and it worked. Is it possible that the new firmware corrupted something in programming?
Did you setup your system or did a pool builder? Interlocks can effect things. Do you have any setup and if so for what? If you understand how to configure the system it might be good to re-do it...or call the PB and have him come back and re-configure it.

I assume you don't have a Hayward smart pump...because if you did you would not be wiring it to a relay but just a breaker. The smart pumps hook to the Omni board directly with a cable. I have a Tri-Star VS950 and my pump is wired directly to a GFCI breaker and the pumps control panel is hooked to the Omni board like in the pic below. So the pump has power 24/7 and the control is handled from the Omni board to the pump.
20210718_194858.jpg

My pb programmed it. But, I went through the settings and learned what the valves, relays, and interlocks were. I re-programmed from scratch and did only step at a time to verify pump working each time. By the time I got to the end, it miraculously worked. I made no other changes. So, either I have a glitch main board or the programming got corrected? I’ll take a look at the other pump you suggested. What makes it smart? Would you recommend? I wonder if it’ll bolt right up to my current setup.

My pb programmed it. But, I went through the settings and learned what the valves, relays, and interlocks were. I re-programmed from scratch and did only step at a time to verify pump working each time. By the time I got to the end, it miraculously worked. I made no other changes. So, either I have a glitch main board or the programming got corrected? I’ll take a look at the other pump you suggested. What makes it smart? Would you recommend? I wonder if it’ll bolt right up to my current setup.
Good for you. It's better to have a working knowledge of how your equipment is setup and configured. Glad you got it working.

The pump I have has a control unit built in with a small display and if it is being used without an omnilogic system, it can still be programmed for on/off time and pump speeds.
TriStar VS | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products

Just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone runs into an issue. The intermittent pump started again after a brief power outage. Fortunately, I had saved a copy of the programming from my latest. I restored the programming, and it worked! So, it looks like something is corrupting the file, either power outage or perhaps firmware updates.

Just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone runs into an issue. The intermittent pump started again after a brief power outage. Fortunately, I had saved a copy of the programming from my latest. I restored the programming, and it worked! So, it looks like something is corrupting the file, either power outage or perhaps firmware updates.
You might want to call Hayward with that info...That should be enough info for them to resolve it.

When I call Hayward, they email a set of links to self troubleshoot that have zero detail. They may be the most unhelpful tech support I’ve ever experienced. I just assume they don’t want to support retail customers. Am I calling the wrong number maybe?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.