Intermatic Timer Wiring

Aug 24, 2017
Tucson
Hey... so the timer on my pump bit the dust this past week after only having been installed for a few months. It was a relatively cheap digital timer from Home Depot that was 120V, 240V, 277V selectable, and when I went to leave a review for it it had already been discontinued, haha. So I decided to just order what had originally been installed when I bought the place, which was a T103 Intermatic. However, when I went to install it, I realized it had a neutral, and checking... yup, it's supposed to be wired at 120V and naturally the wires leading to where my pump is installed are wired for 240V with no neutral wire, only two hots and a ground. Now I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about electrical wiring... only enough to be dangerous. So it's possible I'm just not understanding something. But I'm guessing the previous owner had either replaced the motor with something 240v capable but kept the T103 shell, or had run the ground to neutral, right?

So what should I do now? Grumble and buy a 240V capable timer? Ground to neutral? When I install it without the neutral (keeping the ground grounded), the clock predictably doesn't work, however the manual on switch does start the pump. Would this be more or less dangerous than grounding to neutral if I have to replace it and need to wait for a new motor to arrive (mid-summer in Arizona already started to turn the pool green without the filter running for a few days)? Like I said... I know just enough to be stupid so I want to feel out my best (e.g. cheapest) option that won't (likely) set my house on fire. Thanks!

For reference, the currently (incorrectly) wired T103:

https://postimg.cc/image/ewbzh3793/

The T103 has a 120v clock motor. The T104 has a 240v clock motor.

Most pool pump motors wired for 240v and needing a timer use the T104 timer. Can you return the T103?

My pool used a T101 (120V clock motor) for a 220V load (motor, heater and SWCG). Still going strong for the past 17 years!

You would wire a T103 for a 220V load as shown in the below pic. Not clearly shown on the pic but the 120V clock motor must be connected between terminal A and terminal 1. Hope this helps.

added: btw, I took a look at your pic! Your existing T103 timer is wired correctly and in the same way as shown in the above wiring diagram. Except, I don't see the incoming white neutral wire on Terminal A. Without the neutral wire the 120V clock motor will not run. Am I missing something?
Just replace the timer and re-use the existing enclosure, easy DIY.

Last edited:
There is no neutral wire coming from the breaker or the motor. Both have two hots and one ground. Hence my problem.

ohhh... I see! You mentioned the T103 was the original timer installed before you. How did it work before?

Would it be easy for you to pull a neutral wire from the sub-pnl? Or...tough call, either you replace the clock motor with the 220V version or replace the whole timer with a T104. See Mike's link above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.