Intermatic Timer Rotating Backwards

Jul 22, 2018
Babylon
My pool timer is moving backwards. This has been occurring since the opening of my pool this summer. Last year, the timer worked fine. It took me a while to notice that that was the reason my pool pump would not automatically turn off and on. It would just get stuck by the on/off switch. Last night, to be sure I set the pointer at 5 PM with the off switch at 6 PM. When I came back later, the pointer was closer to 4PM. I'm assuming the timer may have been incorrectly wired when the pool was re-opened. I don't think the motor is bad because the dial is rotating. Anyone familiar with this? I did find a replacement on Amazon, but if I don't have to replace it, that would be more to my liking.

Which timer model do you have?

Do you completely remove the timer when winterizing? Just unhooking the pump, etc. shouldn't change the wiring to the timer.

sorry... i was away for a few days. I checked and I have the T104R. I read the labels and I'm wondering if I have to reprogram it. What you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an old thread on the same problem - Pool pump timer working in reverse and get stuck on on switc

It is either a gear problem or a bad motor. If you want to try and fix it I would pop the timer out and examine the motor and gears. This explains how to replace the motor - How To Replace an Intermatic T104 Clock Motor - INYOPools.com

Or just buy a new timer and pop it into the existing case. Should take a few minutes to replace.

Thanks. Looking at the wiring. It seems a lot harder than it sounds.

The T104R is just a standard mechanical timer, there's really nothing to reprogram.

Changing the clock is pretty easy, just make sure all the power is off and you can pull the timer out of the case with the wiring still attached if you have enough slack. Even if you don't, just take a couple of pictures of it and make sure you put the wires back where they were.

The T104R is just a standard mechanical timer, there's really nothing to reprogram.

Changing the clock is pretty easy, just make sure all the power is off and you can pull the timer out of the case with the wiring still attached if you have enough slack. Even if you don't, just take a couple of pictures of it and make sure you put the wires back where they were.

Can the T104M replace the T104R? It looks like the M is just the timer while the R includes the box.

For future reference, this reply from another site was spot-on for me, and a quick DIY fix:

"Direction is controlled by a gear inside the timer cap. When you open the Intermatic door (T100 series - mine is the 220v T104) look thru the circle near the top (use a flashlight) to see the little black gear in the back turning clockwise. If it's going CCW it's running backwards. Turn off power (breaker), unsnap the mechanism (release is at the inside top) and pull the guts forward to access the timer (careful of wiring). The timer cap (with the printing on it) can be carefully pried off with a sharp blade or pocket knife. Inside the 1" gear on the right can be lifted out. The position of the metal lever bar on the bottom side of this gear forces the magnet wheel next to it to go in the proper direction. The lever bar will turn until it contacts one of 2 plastic posts. Whichever one it was against, reposition it so the bar turns toward the other plastic post. Mine was running backwards because I took it apart to inspect it (worn gear) and when I modified it to work on the unworn part of the gear, I (mistakenly) installed the 1" gear in the wrong position, then had to figure out why it was running backwards. This position can't change by itself, so I assume your has ALWAYS run backwards. Running backward WILL cause the timer to bind up when it contacts the adjustable timer tabs. Check clearances of power wires before turning power back on to make sure nothing is shorting. "

Reactions: mickey4paws
For future reference, this reply from another site was spot-on for me, and a quick DIY fix:

"Direction is controlled by a gear inside the timer cap. When you open the Intermatic door (T100 series - mine is the 220v T104) look thru the circle near the top (use a flashlight) to see the little black gear in the back turning clockwise. If it's going CCW it's running backwards. Turn off power (breaker), unsnap the mechanism (release is at the inside top) and pull the guts forward to access the timer (careful of wiring). The timer cap (with the printing on it) can be carefully pried off with a sharp blade or pocket knife. Inside the 1" gear on the right can be lifted out. The position of the metal lever bar on the bottom side of this gear forces the magnet wheel next to it to go in the proper direction. The lever bar will turn until it contacts one of 2 plastic posts. Whichever one it was against, reposition it so the bar turns toward the other plastic post. Mine was running backwards because I took it apart to inspect it (worn gear) and when I modified it to work on the unworn part of the gear, I (mistakenly) installed the 1" gear in the wrong position, then had to figure out why it was running backwards. This position can't change by itself, so I assume your has ALWAYS run backwards. Running backward WILL cause the timer to bind up when it contacts the adjustable timer tabs. Check clearances of power wires before turning power back on to make sure nothing is shorting. "
That is exactly what I suspected when I bought a new motor and it had a main drive pinion gear different from the one in my low voltage transformer timer. So I had to gut the new motor for parts to rebuild the old one. At first pass I had the little metal bar on one side and sure enough it ran the wrong direction for my application, so I opened it up again, removed the two gears and set the bar to the other side and got the correct rotation direction. Great post as you figured it out too!

Hmm. I'm seeing this issue now with my T104R after 3 years of it rotating in the correct direction. I have never removed the mechanism since it was first installed. The only thing that's different that I can think of is that I replaced the 2-pole 20A breaker recently (a week ago), and it's possible that I reversed the wires. I stuck stickers on the wires to label them "left" and "right", but it's possible I did it wrong.

If the wires were reversed, would this affect the timer rotation? The timer controls the filter pump and SWCG. Would they still be working if the breaker wires were reversed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the wires were reversed, would this affect the timer rotation?

No. A 240V circuit does not have any polarity to reverse.

The timer controls the filter pump and SWCG. Would they still be working if the breaker wires were reversed?

Yes, Position of the wires in a 240V circuit does not make a difference. They are both hot wires.

Great! Thanks for confirming. I just checked the black gear in the back of the timer through the hole, and it's turning clockwise, which according to that post above means it should be rotating the correct way. I just reset the time and I'll check in an hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.