Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump timer working in reverse and get stuck on on switc

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump timer working in reverse and get stuck on on switc

Newbie to pool world just bought house.

Almost everything is working. except
    I have those T30401R Intermatic Dual Timing Center For Complete Pool and Cleaner Automation
    YELLOW round timer for cleaner pump (which is making loud noice but thats for another topic). The timer works in reverse order (ex: 8 7 6 5 4) so i know the timer motor inside is working. But everytime when it gets close to the "ON" switch its stop working also in reverse order and ofcourse won't turn on my pool cleaner. Any suggestion what to do?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump timer working in reverse and get stuck on on switc

ok got the model # T30401R Intermatic Dual Timing Center For Complete Pool and Cleaner Automation

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm no expert but since no one else answered your question yet ----

It sounds like the motor is wired backwards - follow the two wires from the timer motor
    and switch their connections (just the timer motor not any other wires)

The on off mechanism is designed to actuate in one direction only, so once the motor runs correctly everything else should start to function normally.
    15x32 Lazy L Inground / Concrete - 25,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.5Hp/ Sand Filter, 7th season with Pool
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    BROMINE - (Purchased Home that way) Bleach shock
    400,000 btu Pentair Master Temp NG

4. Back To Top    #4

These are synchronous motors on AC lines. Those motors are designed to run in the same direction whichever way the AC wires are connected (note they are usually both white). In order to run backwards, I have to assume you have either a bum motor or a really strange mechanical fault. If it were mine, I'd invest in a new motor. They can be bought at any electrical supply house. Just ask for a motor for a T101 timer (thats the 110V side for the cleaner) if they have trouble dealing with your model number. If it turns out to be mechanical, the entire mechanism on either side can be easily replaced. The usual warning about electrical expertise and turning off ALL power to the box (both 230 volt legs should be made safe) of course apply.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.