Intermatic Timer Driving Me INSANE!

Chad_in_TX

Jul 24, 2019
Plano, TX
So couple weeks ago, I went out mid day and notice the pool wasn’t running. I looked at the timer and the On Tripper was at an angle and I kinda had to lightly pry it off. The Tripper was slightly bent, so I put it back into shape. Thought all was good.

The next couple days, the pool wouldn’t turn off. Inspected the Off Tripper and didn’t seem to have any issues, but I went ahead and swapped the Off Tripper from the vacuum timer just to see. Next day it went off. The day after, again it doesn’t go off. NOTE: Up until it reaches the Off Tripper, it keeps time exactly and matches the vaccum booster timer. So, I go and get some brand new OEM trippers and swap out the Off. Next day, pool turns off. The following day, nope. Won’t turn off and continues to run.

So what happens is some days it turns off, some days it doesn’t. When I go out to look to see why it hasn’t, I hear a faint clicking nose…. And the Off Tripper is butted up against the tripper lever, but just won’t continue to go forward to engage or move the clock forward. I then manually turn it off, bump the timer forward a few minutes and it works for a day and then doesn’t.

I’ve inspected everything around the timer and everything is operational. The Dang thing is less than 4 years old. I don’t see any rub down marks anywhere on the tripper lever on the timer itself. And the Off Tripper clearly goes right up against the triplet lever to engage, but some days it just won’t….. The manual on/off lever works fine and still has a click and doesn’t require anymore manual force to turn on or off than normal. I’ve tried moving the Off Tripper to later in the day thinking maybe the yellow clock was slightly bent at the normal off time I keep it on, but that doesn’t seem to help either.

Considering the thing keeps time and I really don’t want to waste money on inflated $ parts and service in the current economy, does anyone know why this is happening? I don’t really like messing with components that deal with electrical current but I’d like to know if this thing truly is broken or can it be fixed?

1E0CE46E-9727-4994-B991-875180FBC0BB.jpegF473C942-C248-4BD3-819C-5A906E71D240.jpeg6A51B225-C624-4346-8894-E26BA1AFC279.jpeg

Replace the mechanism.

The timer is worn out.

The motor keeping time is the simple part.

The timer uses mechanical gears. Once the gears get out of wack and don’t flip the switch with the trippers it is not repairable.

They don’t make things the way they used to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.