Intermatic P1353me Wiring Questions

coy

Jun 30, 2019
houston
Hello all. I'm new to this site, so forgive me for leaving out any info in this post.
I am replacing two mechanical intermatic timers with one P1353me timer in mode 3. My equipment is a single speed filter pump, cleaner pump and heater with a firemans switch. I am trying to wire all three to the one p1353me. I have drawn two crude schematics, one of the existing wiring and one of the new p1353 wiring that I understand. I only have one 240 source on one breaker running this configuration. I believe I understand the wiring for the two pumps and fireman switch but at a loss for the heater 240 wiring. Currently it is wired like the cleaner pump and will not turn on until the filter pump is on. I like that setup and would like to duplicate it if possible without any additional hardware. This is the area I need help from the forum.

Any thoughts?

exist.jpeg

new.jpeg

Coy,

Most automation systems never shut off the AC power to the heater. It is on all the time.. They just use the fireman's switch to tell the heater to turn on or off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim for the response. So I do not completely understand the fireman's switch then. I thought it shut down the heater X minutes before the pump for a cool down period. If I understand you correctly, the heater will not turn on if the filter pump is off, correct?

Thanks,
Coy

Coy,

I guess my point was that there is no need to control the AC power to the heater in most cases... Automation systems use the Fireman's switch to control the temperature of the heater by linking the water temp to the on/off cycle of the Fireman's switch.

Let me take a few minutes and see how the p1353me uses the Fireman's switch... before I get you pointed down the wrong path...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Coy,

OK... the Fireman's switch controls if the heater will fire up and heat or not.. When you initially turn on the pump the Fireman's switch will close and tell the heater to turn on the burner. When you turn off the pump, you do not want the heater to just shut off.. You want it to cool down.. So the Fireman's switch shuts off the burner x minutes before the pump is shut off.

Still no major reason to try and control the AC power going to the heater..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Coy,

Just so that I am clear... The fireman's switch is not wired into 120 or 240 volts.. It basically takes 24 VAC from the heater and sends it up one wire, through the Fireman's switch and then back to the heater... When this loop is closed, the heater will run...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.