Intermatic Outdoor timer trips indoor GFIC outlet?

dude7707

Jul 10, 2019
Silverdale, WA
When I connect timer to outside outlet, the indoor GFIC outlet trips. Done the following:
1. Removed timer from outside, unplugged kitchen appliances inside, and reset indoor GFIC, - Results - Red button stays pushed in.
2. When connect timer to outside outlet, then GFIC red buttons pushes out and will not reset.
3. Go to fusebox, reset circuit breakers, everything is fine, except when I connect timer.

Is this due to a faulty GFIC outlet or some other issue?

If you need further information or photos please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

dude,

It sounds to me like the way you have the outside timer wired is the problem...

Tell us what kind of timer it is (model number) and show us how you have it wired.

Is anything wired to the output of the outside timer??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dude,

What happens if you unplug the gray "load" cable?

Things I would try..

1. See if the GFCI pops with the load removed (If it still pops see #2) If it no longer pops, then the problem is with the load or the cable going to the load.

2. Take the Intermatic timer inside and plug it into some other GFCI.. If it does not pop inside, then the original GFCI is bad.. If it still pops, something is wrong with the timer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

What happens if you unplug the gray "load" cable? - you mean the black cable, since the gray was never plugged in correct?

Things I would try..

1. See if the GFCI pops with the load removed (If it still pops see #2) If it no longer pops, then the problem is with the load or the cable going to the load. - originally it only popped when I plug in the timer, but NOW when I plugged in the black cable directly to outdoor outlet, it works...then when I plugged the black cable into the timer it still works! I don't get it....I did not reset the breakers so why now?

2. Take the Intermatic timer inside and plug it into some other GFCI.. If it does not pop inside, then the original GFCI is bad.. If it still pops, something is wrong with the timer. When I take the timer and plug into another GFCI does not pop, then tried on the original GFCI same result.

confused......but at least at the moment it seems to be working.......the real test will be setting the timer and see if it shuts off and then starts again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.