Intellitouch / ScreenLogics Issues

Pesh

Apr 19, 2020
Austin, TX
I have an OLD (circa 2012) IntelliTouch i9 system.

Equipment :
- Automation : Pentair Intellitouch i9 + Pentair Protocol Adapter (via hard wire to COM Port) + ScreenLogics2
- Controller : In-home Pentair Wall Controller via hard wire to COM Port
- Main Pump Pentair IntellifFlo VS
- Pool Cleaner Booster Pump : Pentair
- Water Feature Booster Pump : Pentair
- Pool Cleaner : Polaris 3900 Sport
- Spa Heater : Pentair MasterTemp 400
- Spa Blower : Air Supply Silencer
- Filter : Sta Rite DE Filter
- Lights : Pentair Pool LED, Pentair Spa LED, low-voltage yard lights

Behavior :
The system is a bit all over the place. Normal scheduled stuff kinda works. Spa mode kicks on as scheduled, Pool pump kicks on as scheduled. However, the Polaris does not come on when it's supposed to.

When I use ScreenLogics on my iPhone here is a break down:

Works:
- Water Feature
- Spa Blower
- Pool Light
- Spa Light

Does not Work:
- Spa Temp last reads 134F, which is ridiculous. However, the hard-wired wall controller shows 65F (which is probably accurate)
- Spa Heater wont Kick on. However, this works if i manually press the button on i9
- Polaris doesn't work. However, this works if i manually press the button on i9

Planned Upgrade :
I've ordered the Pentair IntelliCenter Upgrade Kit (P/N 522046) to update my Automation and hopefully dramatically improve our stability and reliability. The order was placed months ago and seller (ePoolSupply in AZ) says that Pentair is telling them December for delivery :( I'm trying to get my current system working well enough to bridge the gap.

Any ideas to help get the system working until i can upgrade would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what other information I can provide to help.

Hi, I was conversing with Pesh earlier and suggested he post this question... one thing I thought was strange is that his spa temp reads 134F on screenlogic but the indoor controller shows 65F. wondered if anybody had seem a similar issue with screenlogic temp reporting being off?

screenlogic temp reporting being off?
They both get the temperature from the same probe. You do need to remember that the Screenlogic temp is from the last time the system was in Spa Mode. To get that temp reading, the sensor would have to be disconnected or some other issue.

I would suggest putting the system in spa mode and seeing if the temp updates on the ScreenLogic

Pesh,

Logically, the Remote and ScreenLogic are looking at the same RS-485 data.. From that point of view, there is no way the remote can be displaying the correct temp and the ScreenLogic not seeing the same temp.

My guess is that the RS-485 link between the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic is only allowing data to move from ScreenLogic and into the EasyTouch, but not allowing EasyTouch Data to move into ScreenLogic.

This would allow the Spa temp info to be obviously wrong yet still allow some functions to work..

As a test, I would look at your pump speeds on ScreenLogic and make sure when you tell the pump to run at say 1500 RPM, that not only does the pump itself change to 1500 RPM, but that ScreenLogic also shows the pump speed stepping up in increments until it gets to 1500. If your pump sends the correct speed to ScreenLogic, then my "guess" is just flat out wrong. :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that ScreenLogic stores data and then displays the same data.. So even if the data has changed, and ScreenLogic does not know it changed, it will keep presenting the old (bad) data.

A lot of what the EasyTouch does is all open loop.. You tell it to turn on or off a relay, but the EasyTouch has no way to tell you if the relay actually turned on or off. It just assumes it is working.. Spa temp is one of those loops that needs to be closed to work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.