Feb 9, 2023
McKinney, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Is there a way to get the intellitouch i7+3 with interior panel to recognize VSP and operate properly with freeze protection. In current setup, by pool professional who could not correct, the freeze protect comes on through indoor panel, pump will turn on, but be at 0rpm, so useless. Any settings that can solve this issue?

DM,

You don't freeze protect the pump, you freeze protect a circuit. Usually the Pool and Spa circuits.

On the surface, your problem does not make sense.

If you have freeze protect set on the Pool Circuit and you have speed set up for the Pool circuit, then when freeze protect comes on the pump should run at the Pool speed.

If you can see on the pump's display "0 RPM" then that means the pump is not being controlled by the automation.

As a test, with the System in Auto and the pump running, look at the display and see what it shows. It should show "Display Not Active".

Let me know what you find.

Besides the Pentair remotes, do you also have ScreenLogic?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I completely agree that the problem doesn’t make much sense. I have the pentair intellitouch inside wall unit. It definitely operates on the schedule from inside and I can activate all other features, spa, waterfalls, etc from inside unit. Pump is activated by the freeze protection mode from the inside unit, but then you have to go to the unit to hit “1” or manually raise rpms. Before the “freeze on“ is displayed, or any inside unit control, the pump screen is blank, off, without power. To your point, something wired incorrectly would not surprise me. I do not have screenlogic.

Thanks,
DM

DM,

The pump should get constant AC power, the display should never be blank.

I suspect that your pump is getting power from the Pump/Filter relay.

When in Auto and with the pump running, tell me what the display shows.

Then, as a test, go out to the main panel and put the system in the Service mode. Wait one minute and go look at the pump. If the display is blank, then your pump is not getting constant AC power. Most likely because the pump is getting power from the Pump/Filter relay. An easy fix you can do yourself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

When system turns on from indoor panel pump goes to position 1 and 2750 rpm, which are my settings. When I place in service mode from outdoor panel, it goes to "alarm" power out/off. What would be that easy fix? Thanks again for the help!

DM

Last edited:
DM, @DM4040

Sorry, I've been out of town for a couple of days.

It sounds to me like your pump is being powered by the Pump/Filter relay, which is wrong.

It does not sound like you are using the RS-485 cable to control your pump.

It could be your system is so old that it will not support the RS-485 pump control.

Go out and drop down the front panel and see if you can find a label with the Firmware Information on it and tell us what it says..

Let's see if Tom, @ogdento, knows if the early version IntelliTouch units could control VS pumps or not.

I assume you have never seen your display show "Display Not Active"??? Is this true?

Does your VS pump have a small cable plugged into the side of the pump's control head?

Show us some pics of the pump and the outside IntelliTouch board.

Thanks,

Jim R.

tell us the firmware version of your Intellitouch system... go to Menu > Setup > Advanced, then press buttons 2 and 4 along the bottom and the top option is to show the software revisions (check the Intellitouch manual if my steps don't make sense).

Also, what pump do you have... your profile says 3HP Pentair VSP. If it's an Intelliflo it should be powered on all the time and a comm cable connects to the outdoor board which tells it when to turn on and off.

Sorry, I've been out of town for a couple of days.

It sounds to me like your pump is being powered by the Pump/Filter relay, which is wrong.

It does not sound like you are using the RS-485 cable to control your pump.

It could be your system is so old that it will not support the RS-485 pump control.

Go out and drop down the front panel and see if you can find a label with the Firmware Information on it and tell us what it says..

Let's see if Tom, @ogdento, knows if the early version IntelliTouch units could control VS pumps or not.

I assume you have never seen your display show "Display Not Active"??? Is this true?

Does your VS pump have a small cable plugged into the side of the pump's control head?

Show us some pics of the pump and the outside IntelliTouch board.

Thanks,

Jim R.
tell us the firmware version of your Intellitouch system... go to Menu > Setup > Advanced, then press buttons 2 and 4 along the bottom and the top option is to show the software revisions (check the Intellitouch manual if my steps don't make sense).

Also, what pump do you have... your profile says 3HP Pentair VSP. If it's an Intelliflo it should be powered on all the time and a comm cable connects to the outdoor board which tells it when to turn on and off.
Thanks! It is an Intelliflo VSF. It isndefintely not powered on at all times. Firmware version - Not sure, it is original and would have been installed in 05. I

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DM,

Thanks for the pics...

It appears to me that your pump is being powered by the Pump/Filter relay, which is not correct when you have a VS pump.

To fix the problem, you just need to just move two wires. Before we can do that we need to understand where the wires are going to make sure we move the right ones.

There are 6 conduits mounted to the bottom of your Automation box. I need to know where the two conduits, on the far right in your pics, go. I suspect that ones goes to your IntelliFlo pump and one goes to ????

Find the one going to the IntelliFlo and then follow the Yellow and Purple wires coming of it. They are now wired to the 'load" (Output) pins on the Pump Filter relay. With the power off obviously, just move those two wires from the 'load' pins over the the corresponding 'Line" (Input) pins. This will provide your pump with constant AC power.

Please let me know if this makes sense or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.