intelliflo3 cleaning hair from pump

Jetjohn6

Sep 22, 2019
Las Vegas
I'm pump shopping at the moment. I settled on the 3hp intelliflo3. I was at the store ready to purchase. they had a sample on the showroom floor. The pump is quite a bit larger than my whisperflo.

Every week or two I have to stick my fingers in the pump to pull a bit of hair or tree needles from the impeller area. Not my favorite part of pool maintenance but it needs to be done. I can't get my hand/fingers anywhere near this area in the new pump. How are people dealing with this? It's my understanding that this wet end has been out for a while as the intellifloXF. I can't be the only person that has to clean hair from the pump. How will this be done with this large pump? Will people be frequently removing the motor from the wet end? Help me understand!

At this point I think I'm going to go with the intellifloVSF 011056 so I don't need to deal with this.

So if the hair & needles aren't getting caught in the hair nets, they could be sinking to the pool bottom and traveling via the main drain.

Do you have a pool cleaner for the pool floor? If so, what kind?

If you could add more details to your signature, that might help us.

Aha, a suction cleaner doing what suction cleaners do. Perhaps there is something you can put in the suction line to prevent debris from reaching the pump?

I personally have no experience with suction vacuums, but maybe someone who does will come by to help.

Which debris canister are you using inline with the suction vac?
This Hayward W560 canister will accept the same hairnet that fits the skimmer basket.

Where is all the hair coming from?

Maybe everyone can wear swimming caps like from the 1940s?

Would everyone consider shaving their heads during swimming season?

Overall, this is not a common problem that people have.

The basket for the Intelliflo3 is pretty good with a big basket and small holes, so it should not be a big problem.

Maybe you can make a tool that can reach in and clean out any hair?

Maybe a shop vac?

412s-r-794L._AC_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Beemo-Bathing-Women-Girls-Latex/dp/B00KN19AZC

• Haha
Reactions: Kaylee34
Which debris canister are you using inline with the suction vac?
This Hayward W560 canister will accept the same hairnet that fits the skimmer basket.

Where is all the hair coming from?
Most of the hair seems to come from our dog...who doesn't even swim in the pool. Just being pool adjacent seems to be enough to get some fur in the pool. The baskets/hair net capture most of it but still a bit sneaks through. I'm surprised this is not a more common issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks somewhat similar in size to the Hayward W560 I mentioned.

Take the basket out and try fitting one of your hairnets inside the basket.
Post a few pics of the outcome.

FWIW, I do two pools with lots of dog hair. Neither of the dogs swim in the pools, but sounds like your situation where it just gets blown in. I certainly find dog hair everywhere in the circulation system, but it's never fouled the impeller on either of the pumps (five/six years ish). I'm thinking the pump will handle the hair OK when it does get through. Pool pumps are a form of dirty water pump and made to handle small material and pass it through to the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.