IntelliFlo3 - 32GPM @ 75% Speed (3,000 RPM) - Is Something wrong?

Here is a comparison of your plumbing curve with several plumbing curve standards and it appears that your plumbing is much worse than Plumbing Curve A which is typical of 1.5" plumbing but it is not as bad as Plumbing Curve B which is very poor plumbing design. I also added the Intelliflo 3 3HP for reference.

1716576812598.png

Last edited:
You lack any baseline of comparison to say you have a pump performance problem.

I appreciate all of the input and conversation. I never stated or thought that I had a pump performance problem though. I was just asking if my current performance seemed accurate and if there were any additional ways to improve.

You all are the experts and I'm just an average joe homeowner - I really do appreciate the input and help :)

Well, if you look at the chart above (post #21), I do believe you have a performance issue. But it is due to the plumbing and not the pump.

Just noticed that one of the suction lines is shut off. Is that the MD? Have you tried to open it? Never mind

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of your plumbing curve with several plumbing curve standards and it appears that your plumbing is much worse than Plumbing Curve A which is typical of 1.5" plumbing but it is not as bad as Plumbing Curve B which is very poor plumbing design. I also added the Intelliflo 3 3HP for reference.

View attachment 576218
This is awesome - thanks!

Is there a way to impact head? I need to do some research on what exactly that is....

This is awesome - thanks!

Is there a way to impact head? I need to do some research on what exactly that is....
Depends on where it is. Above ground on the pad, maybe. Underground, expensive.

Accurate filter pressure is paramount to troubleshoot where the issue maybe.

Vacuum gauge for the suction side would not hurt as well.

What RayPak model# is that?

Last edited:
There is a difference between the ID of PVC (average = 1.6") and copper type K (average 1.48'). Average size based on Schedule 40 PVC internet search.
For 1.5" the difference is that Copper is 85% the area of PVC.
So will there be a flow difference i dunno. I have not seen a difference between 1.5 and 2.0 pvc in my pool.

H,

I suspect that your heater is your biggest flow restriction... Since it is all connected by unions you could fashion a temporary by-pass and see what happens to the GPM. We have seen several heaters that have corroded and the internal parts no longer worked like they should.

As a test you could also put your sand filter in the Recirculate Mode and see what happens. If you see a huge change in GPM you might just need to deep clean it.. If there just a little change, then you would know the filter is not the issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

There is a difference between the ID of PVC (average = 1.6") and copper type K (average 1.48'). Average size based on Schedule 40 PVC internet search.
For 1.5" the difference is that Copper is 85% the area of PVC.
So will there be a flow difference i dunno. I have not seen a difference between 1.5 and 2.0 pvc in my pool.
Yes, the head loss in pipe is proportional to the diameter^5.23 so the copper pipe, increases head loss by 1.5x.

What is the approximate distance from pump to pool?

Also, what is the RayPak heater model#?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the head loss in pipe is proportional to the diameter^5.23 so the copper pipe, increases head loss by 1.5x.

What is the approximate distance from pump to pool?

Also, what is the RayPak heater model#?
@mas985

Just changed the gauge and running the pump at 65% it's getting 23gpm and showing 8psi on the gauge.

Raypak model # P-R266A-EN-C

It's about 50ft from the pump to the closet edge of the pool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240528_204047_Pentair Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240528_204047_Pentair Home.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240528_203842.jpg
    20240528_203842.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 2
As a test you could also put your sand filter in the Recirculate Mode and see what happens. If you see a huge change in GPM you might just need to deep clean it.. If there just a little change, then you would know the filter is not the issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the idea. I'll give this a try and post back.

On the note of the filter, I noticed over the weekend there is sand at the bottom of the pool. I thought it was loose sand from my brick pavers but it is consistently coming back and piling in the same area of the pool across from a jet.

Assuming there is some sort of crack somewhere that's allowing it to leave the filter?

@mas985

Just changed the gauge and running the pump at 65% it's getting 23gpm and showing 8psi on the gauge.
How about at 100% setting?

Raypak model # P-R266A-EN-C

It's about 50ft from the pump to the closet edge of the pool.
I believe that model has a built in bypass so it should not be that bad in terms of head loss. I still think it is the plumbing underground causing the higher than normal head loss. Everything I see above ground should not be that bad.

If I run a full head loss model and assume the copper ID is 1.48" I get close to the flow rate you are experience but running at full speed is more accurate so if you could post those numbers.

Also, what size is your filter?

How many returns do you have in the pool and what is the diameter of the eyeball?

Reactions: Jimrahbe