IntelliFlo VSF program not running correctly.

JohnKDavis

Sep 18, 2022
Murrieta, California
The only other thing I can think of is... if you turn something that is scheduled, on or off manually, depending on when you do it, you can get the system confused and might have to wait 24 hours for it to get back into sync.

Jim R.
I am posting a reply here because this thread is the closest to my problem that I was able to find in my search, and this is the only advice that might work for me.

Nonetheless, let me run this past you guys... I have a Pentair Intelliflow VSF which I program using the keypad attached to the pump. It worked fine until my stepson decided on his own to reprogram it one day, and ever since it won't follow the schedule I set. I have program 1 set for 7 am to 1:59 pm at 20 GPH, and program 2 set for 2 pm to 4 pm at 65 GPH, but it goes on at 65 GPH at odd times. I'll set it on running schedule and it doesn't follow the schedule and runs at 65 a lot more often than I want it to.

Is it possible my stepson made the error Jim talks about above, pressing manual when he should not have? Could that be causing my problems? If so, how can I clear the system of this confusion and start all over again?

Thanks everyone---

John D

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you step through the schedules. Clear them and then set the base schedule for the overall time (7am to 4 pm) at the 20 gpm rate, then set another schedule for the 2-4 pm at 65 gpm. The higher rate will override the lower rate schedule. Those should be the only two schedules. You can have 8, so be sure to step through all of them and clear them.

John,

My comments about manually turning "scheduled" things on or off was about the EasyTouch system which controls VS pumps remotely.

You should not have the same problem if you do not have an automation system.

I would delete all your schedules and start over since we do not know what your stepson did.

I never recommend using GPM. I personally like to use the RPM mode..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Mknauss and Jim, thanks for the help! I'll try that.

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I'm new to these pumps: how do I clear/delete a schedule? When I went through the program settings just now, I saw choices between scheduled/manual/egg timer for some of them, and other programs have a disable option. Aside from disable, the only thing I can think of is to set the times for each program to no time at all, or reduce the flow/rpm to zero, or something like that.

What's the best way to proceed?

John

John,

I have an EasyTouch Automation system, so have never actually programmed the pump itself. But, I say to myself, how hard can it be? I then look at the manual and it appears you have to be from the planet "Pentair" to be able to understand it... :mrgreen: I am not embarrassed to say, that I don't fully understand, and I speak broken Pentair.

Tell me what you want the pump to do..

#1.. Are you happy with the default speeds that the pump runs when you push the buttons. This has nothing to do with schedules, just what speed the pump will run when you push a button.

#2.. What schedules do you want the pump to run daily?

Thanks,

Jim R.

John,

I have an EasyTouch Automation system, so have never actually programmed the pump itself. But, I say to myself, how hard can it be? I then look at the manual and it appears you have to be from the planet "Pentair" to be able to understand it... :mrgreen: I am not embarrassed to say, that I don't fully understand, and I speak broken Pentair.

Tell me what you want the pump to do..

#1.. Are you happy with the default speeds that the pump runs when you push the buttons. This has nothing to do with schedules, just what speed the pump will run when you push a button.

#2.. What schedules do you want the pump to run daily?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

Your Pentairese is far better than mine!

I want program 1 to run from 7 am to 2 pm at 20 GPM or 1750 rpm (don't really care which), and program 2 to run from 2 pm to 4 pm at 3250/65 GPM (don't care which). I've repeatedly programmed them to those settings over and over, and watched a number of youtube videos on how to program the machine. So far as I know I'm doing it correctly, and none of the other programs are set to do anything at all. I've read through the Pentair manual a few times but haven't solved the problem.

When I set the programs that way, the pump seems to shift to 3250 sometime well before 2 pm, and oftne runs past 4 pm. There doesn't seem to be any consistent time for when it does this, or if there is I haven't noticed it;

I feel like the machine needs to be completely cleared and reset, but I don't know of a way to do that.

yours, John

John,

Try this and see what happens..

1. Make sure that the pump is on.
  2. Press the stop button – the pump will stop.
  3. Press and hold the four buttons simultaneously for about 4 seconds. Power off the unit and restart.
  4. The factory settings will be assigned.
Let me know if that works on your pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim. Once the factory settings are back on, do I have to clear those programs too, or just go ahead and set my programs as I want them?

Incidentally, yesterday I got some more information. The pool guy who does my chemical service has, apparently, been changing the settings on the pump every week. I didn't know this, though I should have thought of this possibility. (I thought he was just handling chemicals and nothing else.) He told me there are now multiple programs in there, given that I've been resetting what he set.

Mystery solved. I will tell him to stop doing that.

John

Reactions: Jimrahbe
John,

I can't think of any reason a pool guy would change a program.. Push a button to turn on the pump, or run a set speed, but not change or add programs.

Odd indeed. :goodjob:

After the reset, I'd just add the programs that you want to run. They would be set up as "Schedules" with a start and stop time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim! I can't think of any reason for him doing so either; I guess that's why it never occurred to me that he was behind all this until he called yesterday to tell me to stop resetting my pump.

I'm disregarding his advice and now running the pump for 8 hours at 1700 rpm.

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.