Intelliflo VSF / 3.0 HP

calculus

May 9, 2019
Florida
Hello,
I bought an Intelliflo VSF and I want to be as energy efficient as possible, without compromising the water. My pool is 14,000 gallons and is an indoor lap pool. Right now, I'm running the pump for 12 hours. The first 3 hours on high and the rest on low. It's running at 1,500 RPM.
What are the best settings for the Intelliflo VSF if I want to be as energy efficient as possible? How many times do I have to turn the water?
I guess that my settings are somewhat unique, because the sun is not hitting the pool directly.

Photo Attached!
Thanks

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to the forum!
Turnover in a pool is a myth.
With an indoor pool, you are only circulating water to distribute your chemicals. How do you chlorinate?
If with liquid chlorine, a pump run time of 1 or 2 hours at a low speed is all that is necessary. If with a SWCG, then you need to run the pump long enough to generate the chlorine, and if with trichlor, you need to run it long enough and at a high enough rate to erode the tablets so they add the chlorine needed (and they will also add CYA).
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
Turnover in a pool is a myth.
With an indoor pool, you are only circulating water to distribute your chemicals. How do you chlorinate?
If with liquid chlorine, a pump run time of 1 or 2 hours at a low speed is all that is necessary. If with a SWCG, then you need to run the pump long enough to generate the chlorine, and if with trichlor, you need to run it long enough and at a high enough rate to erode the tablets so they add the chlorine needed (and they will also add CYA).
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I chlorinate the pool with the IntelliFlo salt cell.

Do you mean the Intellichlor? What are your current SWG settings (%).

To shorten run time, set the chlorinator to 100% and then reduce the run time proportionally. Also, you shouldn't need any full speed run time, unless you have an in-floor cleaner. Running at lower speeds should be all you need.

Also, you may be able to lower the RPM even further. It will depend on the SWG and the skimmers. For the skimmers, you want to make sure the water flows over the top of the weir door. The SWG will tell you if the flow rate gets too low.

Do you mean the Intellichlor? What are your current SWG settings (%).

To shorten run time, set the chlorinator to 100% and then reduce the run time proportionally. Also, you shouldn't need any full speed run time, unless you have an in-floor cleaner. Running at lower speeds should be all you need.

Also, you may be able to lower the RPM even further. It will depend on the SWG and the skimmers. For the skimmers, you want to make sure the water flows over the top of the weir door. The SWG will tell you if the flow rate gets too low.

Hi mas985,
Thanks for your response. Yes, I meant Intellichlor. The Easy Touch panel says that my pool SWG is, 30%. The actual cell says is, 40%.

Yes, I do have an in-floor cleaner. What would you recommend on pump running time and RPM’s? Should I put the chlorinator to 100%?

Thanks

With an indoor pool I would think you could set up a Feature Circuit to just ramp up the RPM for the cleaner every other day or even less than that. Then run your Pool Mode for 3-4 hours each day at a low rpm generating chlorine. You will have to adjust the % setting based on testing. I assume you have a proper test kit.

Could you fill out your signature? Helps us help you.

With an indoor pool I would think you could set up a Feature Circuit to just ramp up the RPM for the cleaner every other day or even less than that. Then run your Pool Mode for 3-4 hours each day at a low rpm generating chlorine. You will have to adjust the % setting based on testing. I assume you have a proper test kit.

Could you fill out your signature? Helps us help you.

Hi mknauss,
Thanks for your response. Yes! I’m new to the forum and this pool thing :)
I will work on my signature ?

You mean create a Feature Circuit to ramp up the RPM for the in-floor cleaners?
And you are saying, then run the pump on a low RPM for 3-4 hours, how much on that RPM, 1k or lower?

Again, the lowest RPM is going to be determined by the SWG and the skimmer. Too low and the SWG will alarm and stop working. As for the skimmer, as you lower the RPM check that the water is still going over the weir door. Keep both happy and that is the lowest RPM. It is impossible for us to tell you what RPM that will be.

As for total run time, assuming the cell is correct (40%), then the lowest run time you can have will be around 5 hours but you need to make sure the SWG is set to 100%.

Again, the lowest RPM is going to be determined by the SWG and the skimmer. Too low and the SWG will alarm and stop working. As for the skimmer, as you lower the RPM check that the water is still going over the weir door. Keep both happy and that is the lowest RPM. It is impossible for us to tell you what RPM that will be.

As for total run time, assuming the cell is correct (40%), then the lowest run time you can have will be around 5 hours but you need to make sure the SWG is set to 100%.

Gotcha! I will try it
Thanks for your response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.