Intelliflo VS Overcurrent Error after filter mishap

Andyroam

Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Florida
Hi TFP folks,
My Intelliflo VS pump quits with an overcurrent error a few seconds after starting.
This sad tale began when my spa was left running with heat, and while unattended, the top blew off the cartridge filter, allowing much of the water to escape. This lead to a waterfall of 95 degree F water down my street and no water in the spa.
Hours later, I re-assembled the cartidge filter (it hadn't been assembed correctly after a prior cleaning). I refilled the spa and the pipes leading to it. I also removed any debris that I could see or feel near the pump inpeller. The pump then quits with an overcurrent alarm a few seconds after starting.
If I disconnect the pump from the Intellitouch controller and use the keypad to start the pump at its minimum of 450RPM, it runs for a minute of so, then stops with an overcurrent alarm. Whilst running there is a grating sound and some vibration. I'm also a little worried about possible damage to the heater (it's a Hayward Summit) but I haven't had chance to delve into that yet.

I suspect that the motor in the pump is toast and that I should replace it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

I think you will find that pump is toast from running dry for a long period of time. It overheated the seals and the motor.

The heater pressure switch should have shutdown the heater once water flow was lost. I don't expect your heater was damaged.

Reactions: Andyroam
Thanks, I'll get a motor ordered, hopefully that'll fix it.

Andy

I think you will need more then a motor. The pump seal is probably deformed and maybe other parts.

I would disassemble the pump and evaluate the conditions of all the wet end parts before you spend money on the pump.