Intelliflo "tone"

Pentair's initial thought is that it's a bearing problem. Haven't heard back from them on what they plan to do about it.

EDIT - Less than a minute after I posted this I received an email that Pentair has assigned a repair company to my case and I will hear from them soon to schedule a repair.

Most of the Level II guys that I've worked with in the past concentrate primarily on automation.
However, I think the key is to get past the Level I Tech Support guys. That can be a struggle sometimes but persistent will usually be rewarded.
Once you get a Level II tech on the phone (those are the more senior and knowledgeable techs), then you should have good luck moving your issue forward. Calls are typically forwarded to Level II's when the Level I guys have exhausted their "canned" troubleshooting scripts.
r.

I wonder if it's possible that the installation is an issue. The pool guy that installed it ran an elbow straight into the intake, completely ignoring Pentair's installation guidelines. The output is also directly into an elbow, which is followed by 4 more elbows. All of that to avoid sliding the filter over about 10 inches and re-plumbing.

The elbows aren't a big deal as long as the water velocity on the suction side is less than 6 feet per second and the velocity on the pressure side is less than 8 feet per second.

If I'm calculating correctly for 2-inch pipe, that's 58 GPM suction side and 78 GPM on the pressure side. I'm WAY below that. In fact, the tone disappears at higher speeds. There seems to be a golden zone right around 1900 RPM (45 GPM) where it's the loudest. I don't know whether it's truly less, or if there's some sort of resonation going on at the 190 Hz frequency generated by 1900 RPM.

I am curious to know what the resolution is/was for this. Did they just come repair the existing pump, or replace it? Did you have someone install it originally or did you do it yourself (from reading the posts, sounds like you had a pool tech install it). Personally I would have just started with returning the pump to the dealer / pool tech company and have them replace it. Sounds like you are going to have a bit of a hassle, try the bearing, oh wait, the sound comes back 3 months from now, maybe it is a bent shaft, try replacing the electronics .....

My personal experience with Pentair has been very positive, they were helpful and quick to replace a defective filter for my many years ago, but when the person on the phone starts guessing at what might be the problem and proposes a fix based on that guess I would be wary.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.